TechSpot

The Cornerplay: On clicktivism, social media and trolling

1. Social media has become an indispensable part of many people's lives. The one trend that piqued our interest this year is social activism or "clicktivism". I was recently asked to be a guest on a TV show to talk about social...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,051

I don't use any social media at all, I have no use for them although I have accounts for both FB & Twitter but I do find WhatsApp indispensable, I guess it could be classed as social media but I use it constantly to stay in touch with my rather large family and few friends and everyone I have in my contact list I know personally, not like FB + Twitter where some people have 1000's of friends and followers and think it's something brag about it yet they hardly know any of them if any at all, how can they classify them as friends?
    As for me trolling? Heaven forbid, NEVER! I wouldn't dream of trolling and posting nonsense, especially on a fine site like TS. :D.

3. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,180   +73

Interesting article.

One thing I disagree is the way bullying is equated with trolling. Trolling is indeed meant to elicit a response, but bullies want to hurt others. If someone starts telling lies about you and you don't respond, they succeeded in defaming you. If they want to humiliate you, backing down will achieve very little.

It's also not at all about being famous. When kids from school try to humiliate another kid, telling that kid "don't be famous" is a ridiculous response, and that's what a lot cyber-bullying is like. And do you really want to tell people that they shouldn't post their opinion online? Many people become famous and bullying targets simultaneously, simply by posting something that went viral.