The Cornerplay: Price is the only weapon Chromebooks have against Windows

Jeffrey Yuwono

Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/868-chromebooks-vs-windows/]https://www.techspot.com/article/868-chromebooks-vs-windows/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Golf farking clap. I saw that review and was like "WTF are they serious". Has anyone here truthfully seen a Chromebook in the wild? I have yet to hear anyone ask me if they should get one or not. If someone ask me should they get a phone with x OS, I always ask them what are they using NOW. I use WP and people do ask me about it, but if they are used to Android or iOS, I tell them to keep using those two (I don't feel like being their WP tech support). If they are on WP or DON'T have a smartphone, I'll point them to a WP in their range. My brother had a Moto Atrix and was asking me about WP, but I told him to get a SG3 and now he has a SG5.

Of course it's price. Duh-uh. (Unless you're an Apple fan, than it's the other way around: it's more expensive so it must be better...) Any rational person will look at price/performance. And if it's "just enough", than only the price matters.

I am no Chromebook fan (mainly because I don't want to be in the cloud), but I think Chromebooks certainly can be more than enough for most people.

As for: "When I worked at Microsoft": you're sure that's in the past?

There is one simple reason why I recommend a Chromebook to anyone regardless if they own a Windows PC or a Mac, an iPhone or an Android device:

Security.

There is no other computer system you can trust other than a Chromebook.

There is no other computer system that is checked every time you boot the system. And that is only possible because you can not install any other software on this computer but a Chrome browser, which is checked.

I do not use a credit card or check my bank account on any other computer but a Chromebook. Because I never know if there is some malware running on this computer if it is not a Chromebook.

Think about it and do yourself a favour.

Best regards,
Florian from Germany

I guess the hundreds of pages of positive comments on Amazon are all written by retards then (or cheapskates). Let's face it, the Chromebook is a great machine for those who need the basics, without the huge overhead that a complex Windows notebook would force on you.

You can't possibly take a side on this and think you've got it all figured out, people's needs are very different.

Stating security as the main reason for Chrome seems very odd to me given that Google's entire business model is about making your data/usage the product that Google sell to advertisers.

It's just a matter of looking at the numbers, yes they might have a lot of good reviews but in the million user universe that's what? 0.something% that's not a lot, not in the hundreds, not in the thousands, that's just a very very very small sample.

I do agree with something, someone who wants basic explorer functionality they'll get it in the chromebook, IMHO I felt it was like running a tablet on a notebook format, that didnt rock my boat.

I guess the hundreds of pages of positive comments on Amazon are all written by retards then (or cheapskates). Let's face it, the Chromebook is a great machine for those who need the basics, without the huge overhead that a complex Windows notebook would force on you.

You can't possibly take a side on this and think you've got it all figured out, people's needs are very different.

My aunt needed a new computer as her's was still running Win XP. She barely knows how to use a computer (took her many years to realize right clicking gave you a menu of options in most places). She doesn't know how to do any kind of maintenance; Windows updates, antivirus, etc. Practically everything she does on the computer is in a browser. She sells Longaberger baskets, kind of like Marie Kay, and it requires putting people's orders in etc. I helped her get a Chromebook and have only had to help her a few times, connecting to Wi-Fi and printing. She hasn't had any issues setting up customer orders on the Chromebook. She likes the portability and the responsiveness of it. She still has the desktop for printing and backup purposes but mostly uses the Chromebook.

A Windows laptop would have been at least $100 more and come full of bloat that I would have to remove. And let's face it, Microsoft's idea of security is kind of a joke so I would have to add some kind of security suite, as she deals with credit cards and customer information etc. The Chromebook just makes more sense for someone with her needs.

Hence my 2 cents above... "Not my cup of tea" I can understand, no one's forcing your hand, but projecting your disappointment on an entire class of users is borderline trollish.

L.E. Wasn't necessarily referring to the reviewer, reviews are meant to be somewhat subjective, but to those who get all high and mighty about their choice.

I recently pulled the trigger on the C720 and have yet to get it from Newegg. This will be my first foray into the Chrome OS and I haven't gotten it yet so I'll just go over my reasoning in getting it over Windows.

It seems to do everything I want and I can dual boot Linux, if I want. It seems like a good value for what I want it for. I know most Java IDE's aren't compatible with it but I understand there are some good web based alternatives and if need be I can install Linux, problem solved there. I just want something lightweight and basic for note taking and some portable coding (since I only have a desktop; one at work, one at home).

The reason I didn't go with a Windows machine is because Windows is so much more resource intensive than the Chrome OS (again haven't used it myself yet) and at this low price point I know I'll get more performance for the hardware. I just hate when Windows starts to slow down and I reformat my main rig every couple of months. I also hate Windows 8 and I don't want to spend another $100 for a real OS (ie win7). I've got it in my head that the light OS and the inherent security in the Chrome OS will require less maintenance and remain zippy much longer, but again time will tell.

I'm excited to see how it goes.

I recently pulled the trigger on the C720 and have yet to get it from newegg. This will be my first foray into the chrome OS and I haven't gotten it yet so I'll just go over my reasoning in getting it over windows.

It seems to do everything I want and I can dual boot linux, if I want. It seems like a good value for what I want it for. I know most Java IDE's aren't compatible with it but I understand there are some good web based alternatives and if need be I can install linux, problem solved there. I just want something light weight and basic for not taking and some portable coding (since I only have a desktop; one at work, one at home).

The reason I didn't go with a windows machine is because windows is so much more resource intensive than the chrome os (again haven't used it myself yet) and at this low price point I know I'll get more performance for the hardware. I just hate when windows starts to slow down and I reformat my main rig every couple of months. I also hate Windows 8 and I don't want to spend another $100 for a real OS (ie win7). I've got it in my head that the light OS and the inherent security in the chrome OS will require less maintenance and remain zippy much longer, but again time will tell.

I'm excited to see how it goes.
Maybe if you had of used Windows 8.1 you'd know performance and resource requirements are vastly improved. Judging Windows in 2014 based on what it was in 2009, when there are improved versions available seems kind of odd.

There is one simple reason why I recommend a Chromebook to anyone regardless if they own a Windows PC or a Mac, an iPhone or an Android device:

Security.

There is no other computer system you can trust other than a Chromebook.

There is no other computer system that is checked every time you boot the system.
And that is only possible because you can not install any other software on this computer but a Chrome browser, which is checked.

I do not use a credit card or check my bank account on any other computer but a Chromebook.
Because I never know if there is some malware running on this computer if it is not a Chromebook.

Think about it and do yourself a favour.

Best regards,
Florian from Germany
I find the timing of this report very amusing: https://www.techspot.com/news/57803...-of-chrome-extensions-could-be-malicious.html

Isn't it the opposite though in a certain sense? Google tracks everything you do, to sell ads and also so the government can build a big brother database on you. I wouldnt feel safe if big brother knew where I was at all times, what I searched, read my emails, etc

1) Chromebooks have a factory reset option that takes no time at all

2) My neighbors Windows laptops are always infested with crapware.

3) I once tried to do a factory reset on a crapware infested Win8 laptop. By the time it got back to Win8.1 it was like 6 hours later.

"Normal" people need crapware/toolbar hijacking prevention on a quick factory reset.

Windows has neither.

Keep in mind Chromebooks also let you do everything you need to do on windows/mac/linux via RDP/VNC. They however unlike other laptops are very cheap,fast,light,very low resources demanding, more secure and have better battery life. Many IT officials are replacing them with their normal laptops because they simply do a better job, it also doesn't help Microsoft that everyone's moving closer to Citrix everything...

Google "chromebook dell"

It doesn't appear that dell can even keep them in stock, so much that they've completely halted sales.

I see where the author is coming from, Windows laptops have reached all-time low prices akin to netbooks of yesteryear but on much better hardware, leaving less room for Chromebooks to make sense.

However expectations for Chromebooks are low because that's by design. If all you need is a dumb terminal, access to a (really good) browser and cloud storage on cheap hardware, then a Chromebook sounds perfect... until you want to do more, then you are either screwed or have to look for a limited workaround. But that doesn't mean the laptops are not ideal for niche uses or grandma checking her email.

The reason I didn't go with a Windows machine is because Windows is so much more resource intensive than the Chrome OS (again haven't used it myself yet) and at this low price point I know I'll get more performance for the hardware. I just hate when Windows starts to slow down and I reformat my main rig every couple of months. I also hate Windows 8 and I don't want to spend another $100 for a real OS (ie win7). I've got it in my head that the light OS and the inherent security in the Chrome OS will require less maintenance and remain zippy much longer, but again time will tell.

I wish you the best of luck with your new Chromebook, however I felt compelled to say that it's been years since Windows behaved liked that. I've had productive Windows 7 machines running smoothly for years with no need for reinstalls. That's so XP.

I agree with the author, the Chromebooks are just not that impressive even when you factor in price in this day and age. I mean as stated there are windows machines that cost the same or less now so what does a Chromebook offer a full windows machine does not?

I know one person with a chromebook, and he likes it because its great for a small cheap device he can program on while traveling to work, class, etc but he still prefers windows or different variations of linux.

Based on the facts, its just much better now to buy an inexpensive Windows device over a chromebook. The flexibility of windows just makes it a better buy and as stated the build quality comes into play on those chromebooks more than I see on windows devices in the same category.

PC would need to be redesign to make it function with instant start. Right now no matter how fast the CPU and GPU along with all the L1, L2, L3 higher embed caches still has issues after installations, deletions, all other things that make up the Windows PC. Now Microsoft got lazy over the years and the code under-the-hook is pretty much the same as when they first release the product.

There is really not 100% system monitor for automatic of smart system clean-up management. If there was one in place wouldn't need third-party clean-up managers. Hardware maker could design the PC to have second Smart Assistant Engineer to take care of the system needs. So that hardware won't interfere with your current PC operations.

So when you buy a Smart PC , and turn it on it goes right to the OS. Just login with voice, etc.. PC owners have to worry about sluggish system daily. You spend so much on the PC you would think this issue wold have been taken care of but no..

JetClean Pro will check the system at Idle why can't Hardware feature built-in-to each new PC MOBO (motherboard) have it's all SmartClean feature. Then Intel can push the next quickest CPU/GPU and everyone always get excited for that.

Recent published research shows that some Chrome extensions are a security risk. So, if you only install Chrome extensions from trustworthy sources, you're safe. However, it's really hard to tell who is a trustworthy source these days. And, malevolent extensions are making their way onto Google Play and the Chrome web store. I've turned off most all Chrome extensions (other than Google's) as a result. How safe is financial activity on any device? Disappointing state of affairs.

John Mann on TechSpot's Facebook:

I definitely agree that price is very important, and fuels many of the purchases you see. I think that Chromebooks are meant for people who don't need or want the full Windows experience, though.

I have really been enjoying the Chromebook I got to compliment my other devices. I use it mostly for casual browsing and typing when I am away from my desktop, and as a second screen while at the desktop from time-to-time. These tasks could also be done on a sub-$300 Windows laptop, but ChromeOS is virtually made exclusively for them. I don't think that you can compare the two in any area other than price, as they are just tailored for different uses.

As far as your speculations on cheap laptop sales goes, I have to wonder if the surge you are seeing in the Windows versions are just the same sales that were spread among higher-priced options previously - people might be buying the same amount of Windows laptops, they are just opting for the cheaper ones since they are becoming more common?

I am also wondering about the operating system graph that was posted in this article from StatCounter. You mention the web usage of ChromeOS vs Windows in this data, but I think that it's expected to see ChromeOS still low, as it is still a fledgling option when you compare it to the duration of saturation with Windows. The important thing I see in that graph's data is that ChromeOS usage is rising and isn't stagnant at all.

For me, price wasn't the main consideration in what I wanted to purchase. I found that ChromeOS did what I wanted a laptop to do, but nothing more - and it's specs were more than enough to do all of that. A Windows laptop could have done the same things, with the opportunity to do more, but to take advantage of that more, I would have had to purchase a much more expensive option.

Maybe if you had of used Windows 8.1 you'd know performance and resource requirements are vastly improved. Judging Windows in 2014 based on what it was in 2009, when there are improved versions available seems kind of odd.

I also hate Windows 8, which is another reason I'm seeking alternatives.

I wish you the best of luck with your new Chromebook, however I felt compelled to say that it's been years since Windows behaved liked that. I've had productive Windows 7 machines running smoothly for years with no need for reinstalls. That's so XP.

My daily driver definitely slows down after a while, so I'm glad yours are not afflicted with the slowdown bug but mine definitely is (though I do have some large hard drives with a lot of files which probably has something to do with it).

Back