TechSpot

The Cornerplay: Your phone's front facing camera does actually matter

1. One of the big smartphone trends last year was the "selfie" phone. HTC, Nokia, Sony, Huawei and many others all had at least one device marketed towards that purpose.

Read more

2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +505

Or buy an actual camera instead of using a crappy phone to take pictures, those ussually come with small tripods you can put them wherever and take timed perfect pictures (New cameras even come with a connection to your phone where you can click to take the picture and even have that as a screen to watch how it goes) of excelent quality without a stick becoming the first thing you WILL notice on EVERY picture you take through a XVGA to 2mp crappy front facing camera.

Maybe I'm just being mean... but will take a dedicated camera (Even the ultra portable ones) to a phone any day (Even my high-end G2 camera that takes good pictures even with no light) , SPECIALLY on vacations where you KNOW you'll be taking pictures to commemorate and have lovely memories.

p51d007 likes this.
  3. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 563   +178

most people accept the old saying "the best camera for the job is the one you have on you. I think the formula for most is: [convenience -/+hassle]/[priority + importance]. Example, if it was a wedding, the situation is isn't about being convenient or a hassle so a person chooses a HUGE camera with extreme clarity.

4. GreenArrow

GreenArrow TS Enthusiast Posts: 47   +30

I feel this is one of those things that new generations will be laughing at us for. similar to how we laugh at disco.

5. wizardB

wizardB TS Enthusiast Posts: 85   +16

It's okay the last generation is already busting a gut at your generations idea of it"s self importance.

m4a4 and MilwaukeeMike like this.
  6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +505

Yeah of course, but Jeff uses his vacation time as example. And that being the case I would get a nice compact camera with a real flash with me.

On my day to day basis the phone is perfect, the camera is above average and I have it in my pocket almost 24/7. Keeping this in mind I don't think I'll have a stick in my pocket to take selfies with (... besides that one... you know =P), and if the convenience would be to carry one in my daily pack or whatnot, could do the same with a camera.

7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,754   +1,107

You mean you've never updated your status with a pic of your dinner?!

8. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 914   +389

I agree, if I'm out somewhere, where I'm pretty sure I'm going to be taking photos, I'm going to lug my dSLR around, before I'd short change the event, by using a PINHOLE camera.

9. cdman

cdman TS Rookie

"and asking strangers who don’t speak your language to take one for you is a major pain."
    .... erm, I thought that was one of the joys of travelling abroad, surely better than a phone on a stick?

10. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Addict Posts: 293   +69

I totally agree with the author. I recently traveled to South East Asia and saw some folks with a selfie stick. I wished I had one.

To the dSLR comments, no I didn't bring my dSLR. It was not an option to bring it on a 20+ flight, and I wasn't about to lug it around with a tripod all that time. A selfie stick would have come in handy.

11. wizardB

wizardB TS Enthusiast Posts: 85   +16

Don't have a status....social media game is for those who don't have a real life and need 3000 internet "friends"