TechSpot

The disk in drive A is not formatted,do you want to format it now?.

By osckar
Jan 15, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everytime i insert a diskette into drive A, i got a message"the disk in drive A is not formatted,do you want to format it now?. I copy some files from other computer to a diskette, and copy those files to my document in my computer,it worked. After making some changes to the files in my computer, i save it back to the original diskette, but i can't access the saved data on other computer.I got the above message, then i tried it on my computer, i got the same message as well.I change the floppy disk drive, i still got the same problem.This problem occured only after i brought my computer for a virus cleaning to a computer shop, before it was alright. I am confused. Could anyone help. Thank's very much. :confused:
  2. silver threads

silver threads TS Rookie

I have had this problem also and have never found a way around it. It can mean that data is impossible to recover and is a pain. If someone out there can enlighten us that would be great.

In the past I found that floppies formatted in IBM computers could not be read in other computers, but if the floppy was formatted on a non IBM computer it could be read on the IBM one. I have no idea why this happened but would also be interested to read others comments. Although most computers no longer have floppy drives, and my laptop doesn't, I do have an external FDD which I use regularly as I find it quicker than burning CDs.
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Check in the BIOS. Some have a setting for a special Japanese format 3.5" floppies, which is not compatible with our (western) standards of 720KB/1.44MB
    Perhaps your BIOS has this option set to On or Yes or whatever?
  4. lordx

lordx TS Rookie Posts: 52

Try also diferent floppy brands
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.