TechSpot

The DualShock 4 has become a pretty great PC controller

By Jos
Oct 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. If you're using a controller to play a PC game-I know, I know, shhh, it's okay-chances are the on-screen prompts you see will match up with an Xbox controller. But you don't have to use Microsoft's controller with your PC;...

Read more

2. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Guru Posts: 362   +49

Although I've been tempted recently by the Xbox One controller and it's clones I'm sticking with the Xbox 360 controller (and Logitech's F310 controller as well) since it's just right. I also use Logitech's Extreme 3D Pro joystick though I miss the force-enabled model.

3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,559   +2,364

Frankly, the DS4 is the best controller I've used. I know from experience that setting up the Sony pads on a PC can be a hassle, but I'll take take more hassle for greater comfort all day.

4. eD1s0n

eD1s0n TS Rookie

How does this compare to the XInput Wrapper by Scarlet Crush? Been using it for my DS3 and it has been updated to support DS4

5. cldmstrsn

cldmstrsn TS Booster Posts: 101   +51

Ya it is. I just sold my wireless 360 controller because the DS4 is a much much better controller. I started playing middle earth with the 360 controller and then put on my ps4 and it was such a huge difference.

6. Luay

Luay TS Enthusiast Posts: 60

Is the multi-player option in games such as Fifa15 or PES15 supported? Can I use up to four or eight DS4 controllers on one screen/PC?

7. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

It's great, but it's an energy hog. I cycle between two controllers every two days.

8. davislane1

That's the one drawback of the DS4. I suspect part of that has to do with the light. I have yet to hook the DS4 up to my laptop, but if you don't adjust the light bar setting on the PS4 that thing is almost as bright as a Maglite and the controller doesn't last nearly as long unwired. Turning it down to low seems to fix the issue.

9. Its interesting and actually normal to say the light is the power hog on the battery but its the whole options on the controller itself that makes the battery last only 6 to 7 hours.

10. davislane1

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05...-dimming-the-light-measured-for-all-settings/

I'd say it's quite the hog if dimming the light can result in a 13-15% increase in battery life. I can also verify that the standard charge life is around 10-11 hours. More than enough for everything outside of binge sessions.

11. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

My results were after I dimmed the light and turned the speaker off. Part of the problem is that I use my PS4 for streaming as well as gaming. I wish Sony would come out with a remote for the PS4 which would solve my issue.

12. Matt12345170

Matt12345170 TS Booster Posts: 100   +28

I'm not sure if it would cover your needs, but try downloading the psn app, then connect your phone to PS4. It for sure has some basic controls, just not positive if it does exactly what you need it to do.

cmbjive likes this.
  13. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 511   +46

I use the 360 pad (on the super rare occasion I use a pad) simply cause I also own a 360 and it works perfect with my galaxy s5 aswell