the end of AGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordxanthrax

Are next-gen video cards (nvidia 7000 series, ATI whatever series) going to be purely PCI-Express...or does my AGP motherboard still have a chance to last me more than 1 year when i'll need another new video card?

As of today, PCIe isn't fully supported. Since all AGP cards are going out of date and should be obsolete by third quarter next year I wouldn't buy a new card just yet, unless yours is something like an ATI 9200, because game developers are going to start building games that take advantage of the 16x speed of PCIe.

hmm, well, that means in about a year, maybe longer then, i'll need a new motherboard/processor/videocard ...... does this also mean that ddr2 will be the new thing, and ddr memory will be obsolete also?

I sure hope not. I think that the percent of PCs using ddr2 compared to the percent of those using PCI-E is much lower. I just dont think that ddr2 has been widely accecpted, unlike PCI-E. Why? There really isnt a hige performance increase, yes they run cooler and take less juice, but i dont think the money benefits the payout.

Sean

you know i really hope so. The pricetag on my next upgrade is already 500 dollars....if i have to get a new motherboard with PCI-e, a matching processor (running old socket 478 pentium on my current), plus a medium-range video card .

i recently upgraded from agp 8x to pci express 16x for the reason that agp is going out of date. the nvidia 7 series will not be released in agp format and im pretty sure not many new pci express cards will be released on agp.

Also current agp 6 series cards i've heard lag alot more on games like bf2 compared to 6 series pci express.

if your thinking of upgrading tbh i wouldnt bother. save up for a new mobo and gfx card like i've done. best way to go :bounce:

yeah, currently i've got a 3.0ghz prescott, 1gb ram, and a 6600gt. I should be able to bleed that setup for at least another year. Then it'll be time for a new processor/mobo/video card and maybe even ddr2 ram....ugh...horrible time for poor computer gamers :(.

Tell me clearly that is AGP out of date now? I m going to upgarde my system so i should buy a PCIe board.

numan. It really depends how you look at it. The best AGP video cards out right now will probably be able to play games for at least another year, but the current nVidia 7800 cards are purely PCI-e i think. There MIGHT be an AGP version of the 7800GT but my guess is it'll cost probably 100 dollars more than the pci-e version. So..I guess yes, AGP is out of date, if you're getting a new motherboard, get a PCI-E one

Yes. PCIe is just a BUS, or a way to connect the card and get the information transferred from the computer. It won't matter what BUS you have to play games, it'll matter if you card is good enough to play that game. PCIe will give you a large performance increase in all todays games. Since you want it put simply...

Me:
BUY PCI EXPRESS!!!
Since all AGP cards are going out of date

lordxanthrax:
So..I guess yes, AGP is out of date, if you're getting a new motherboard, get a PCI-E one

Luck Not Skill:
i recently upgraded from agp 8x to pci express 16x for the reason that agp is going out of date.
agp is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back