The FAA's upcoming drone rules could all but eliminate commercial use

Shawn Knight

Staff member

faa amazon regulations rules drone pilots commercial drone drone rules

The Federal Aviation Administration is set to release long-awaited rules for commercial drone use by the end of the year. Those rules, however, may end up being terribly restrictive if a new report from The Wall Street Journal pans out.

According to people familiar with the rule-making process, commercial drones will be required to operate only during daylight hours and below 400 feet. What’s more, the restrictions could require the drone operator to have a pilot’s license awarded only after completing dozens of hours flying manned aircraft.

Additionally, unmanned drones could only be operated within sight of the person manning the controls which would eliminate planned commercial use by companies like Amazon and UPS.

faa amazon regulations rules drone pilots commercial drone drone rules

The FAA’s rules are likely to apply to all drones weighing less than 55 pounds. Many were hoping for more lenient rules on lightweight drones as they are less risky to people on the ground as well as structures they might need to navigate.

Drones from popular recreational drone maker DJI typically tip the scales at just a few pounds.

The FAA said it is working to integrate unmanned aircraft into the busiest, most complex airspace system in the world while simultaneously protecting the American people in the air and on the ground.

Airline pilots and other small aircraft owners have shown support for the FAA’s cautions approach while others – namely those in the drone industry like Michael Droback, executive director of the Small UAV Coalition – feel a colossal mess is coming.

Permalink to story.

"What’s more, the restrictions could require the drone operator to have a pilot’s license awarded only after completing dozens of hours flying manned aircraft." This one rule could put an end to the industry in the US, I'm not apposed to the idea of requiring a license to use a drone in a densely populated area but that would be completely ridiculous to have to complete manned aircraft training. People have been using model helicopters in the same airspace without issue for years, would they need to hold a helicopter license if the such a law is passed? I'd say I was glad to live in Canada, but the laws passed in the US often make it north of the border. It's actually amazing that a toy used by children can require a pilots license, what's next, drivers licenses for all RC vehicles. Go USA, land of the Free...

"What’s more, the restrictions could require the drone operator to have a pilot’s license awarded only after completing dozens of hours flying manned aircraft." This one rule could put an end to the industry in the US, I'm not apposed to the idea of requiring a license to use a drone in a densely populated area but that would be completely ridiculous to have to complete manned aircraft training. People have been using model helicopters in the same airspace without issue for years, would they need to hold a helicopter license if the such a law is passed? I'd say I was glad to live in Canada, but the laws passed in the US often make it north of the border. It's actually amazing that a toy used by children can require a pilots license, what's next, drivers licenses for all RC vehicles. Go USA, land of the Free...

I think the logic behind it is like this "If you can pilot a Jet you have the skills & knowledge to drive a tank and pilot a tiny remote controlled RC helicopter."

"If you can shoot a gun you can pilot a F22"

I hope these stupid things are banned for casual use and heavily restricted for commercial purposes. Their nothing but a hazard to air traffic and a threat to our privacy. Their also becoming a favorite tool for terrorists. No private citizen needs a self-righting, remotely operated spy cam with autopilot.

No private citizen needs a self-righting, remotely operated spy cam with autopilot.

You lost me with this point. A private citizen should be able to own whatever he pleases so long as he doesn't use it in a manner such that another person's rights are violated.

They lost me at "stupid things"

IMO they are pretty unintelligent. I tried to explain the Allegory of the Cave to one of the featured units in a coffee shop one time. It just sat there and buzzed, blank-faced. Naturally, I immediately asked if it had even read Plato. Bastard leapt from the table and flew off.

I don't mean to stereotype drones, but that was a very illuminating experience.

Drones are annoying as hell, I don't have a problem with them being banned altogether.

I have to agree with yRaz .... we did just fine without them; I certainly would not miss them at all ....

Ban cars while you're at it, smelly, noisy, responsible for untold horrifying death, a terrorist favorite especially those Toyota pick-up.

" ... the restrictions COULD require the drone operator to have a pilot's license awarded only after completing dozens of hours flying manned aircraft." That's a maybe, it's vague, and no one knows what the rule actually says. This is the FAA we're reading about. An FAA regulation is often three pages long with fourteen subparagraphs and sixteen qualifiers. Some drones are the size of a 4-seat aircraft. If that's the sort of drone the piloting rule applies to, personally I'd like the operator to have some experience keeping it safely in the air.

RC aircraft are required to remained below or outside "controlled airspace" where manned aircraft are operating. At this time, there are no such restrictions on drones. There have already been some close calls between commercial aircraft and drones. A 20 lb goose can bring down an Airbus. Think what a collision with a 40-50 lb chunk of metal could do to regional jet carrying 80 people. There need to be restrictions. The restrictions will undoubtedly vary depending on whether the drone is operating in congested airspace such as the New York metro area where every altitude from the ground up is already reserved for manned aircraft, or over uninhabited, wide open spaces.

Operating a drone over a field a rural, deserted Montana isn't the issue. It's having one zooming along, untended and unmonitored, at 2000 feet in the final approach corridor for Boston or Los Angeles that the regulations are *probably* going to address. And the idea of having an unmonitored drone with four rotors -- like the one shown in this article -- suffering a mechanical failure and dropping into an elementary school yard during recess gives me nightmares. There need to be SOME restrictions on drones.

Operating a drone over a field a rural, deserted Montana isn't the issue. It's having one zooming along, untended and unmonitored, at 2000 feet in the final approach corridor for Boston or Los Angeles that the regulations are *probably* going to address. And the idea of having an unmonitored drone with four rotors -- like the one shown in this article -- suffering a mechanical failure and dropping into an elementary school yard during recess gives me nightmares. There need to be SOME restrictions on drones.

Did you see a construction worker was killed by a falling tape measure ?(http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/04/nyregion/falling-tape-measure-kills-man-at-jersey-city-construction-site.html?_r=0) We know how dangerous a few ounces of falling metal can be.

The point is, yes, there need to be restrictions. Although, it would be a bummer if they get in the way of what could be some very cool technological advancements. As battery tech gets better, drones could become very capable. Hopefully we can find a middle ground to protect people: a simple vertical fin to align a falling drone coupled with an airbag or chute, and maybe they can use GPS to stay over roads most of the time.

I just hope they don't overreact and end up restricting it so far that it's useless.

I hope these stupid things are banned for casual use and heavily restricted for commercial purposes. Their nothing but a hazard to air traffic and a threat to our privacy. Their also becoming a favorite tool for terrorists. No private citizen needs a self-righting, remotely operated spy cam with autopilot.

THEY'RE planning to fly THEIR drones over THERE.

No private citizen needs a self-righting, remotely operated spy cam with autopilot.

You lost me with this point. A private citizen should be able to own whatever he pleases so long as he doesn't use it in a manner such that another person's rights are violated.
Yeah! Why can't I buy a crate of tnt at walmart? Or anthrax? Or 100 lions? I promise I am responsible and wont mismanage any of these items.

Back