The FCC starts to call out telemarketers publicly, hopes cell providers use the info for good

dkpope

Staff

Spam callers and telemarketers, please run far away and hide. The FCC just announced that they will begin to release data on those annoying calls every week. The information will include the date and time the call was received, type of message (robot or human), complainant’s state, and caller ID phone number. The commission hopes that phone companies and developers will start to use that information to improve their “do not disturb” tools. The info is published in a spreadsheet that is already available to view.

Currently, the options to avoid these annoying and unwanted calls are lackluster. iOS allows you to block phone numbers, and on Android you can use apps or third-party dialers to get the same outcome. The weight still falls on us, the consumer, to demand to be placed on a do not call list. There is no automated tool to avoid being on a spam caller list. The FCC’s hopes are clear, they’d like that to change and they want providers to give similar options to landline customers. "Companies may use data like this to further improve their services in determining what calls and texts a consumer might choose to block or filter (I.e. sent directly to voicemail)," the FCC said in a press release.

According to the FCC, everyone deserves to have the right tools to select which calls and texts they receive, and hopefully phone providers will jump on board that opinion.

Permalink to story.

I want the ability to charge a telemarketer for spending my time.
On my att phone, incoming calls cost ten cents a minute.

Aside from cliff, don't try applying for obamacare. We did last june and have gotten like 10 "prank" calls a day from them until now. Really was true that verizon wrote it. Some kind of cop union calls about four times a day, and the university of illinois calls once a day. Long distance land line calls from the university of illinois too. Joined the university of illinois alumni association in 1981, and the alumni magazine also started coming to our new address the month we moved without notifying them of anything. I don't have a money tree, but I did plant an apple tree once. Our internet phone provider ooma actually has a blacklist, but you have to pay extra for it. I always thought I was blacklisted too.

I want the ability to charge a telemarketer for spending my time.
On my att phone, incoming calls cost ten cents a minute.

Aside from cliff, don't try applying for obamacare. We did last june and have gotten like 10 "prank" calls a day from them until now. Really was true that verizon wrote it. Some kind of cop union calls about four times a day, and the university of illinois calls once a day. Long distance land line calls from the university of illinois too. Joined the university of illinois alumni association in 1981, and the alumni magazine also started coming to our new address the month we moved without notifying them of anything. I don't have a money tree, but I did plant an apple tree once. Our internet phone provider ooma actually has a blacklist, but you have to pay extra for it. I always thought I was blacklisted too.
Did you put in a change of address with the post office when you moved? Because if you did they would redirect the mail and undelivered mail would be sent back and they could find your new address that way. Best way to move and not get followed is to NOT put in an address change but to change the address for the companies and places you want to get mail from individually. It won't last forever though, you will make a mistake and start getting random mail eventually. Of course, none of that will help if the company you gave the address to sells info or shares it with "partners".

Ohh I'm sure Verizon and others would love to charge you for such a service... Spam-block by Verizon, only $19.95 a month!

Ohh I'm sure Verizon and others would love to charge you for such a service... Spam-block by Verizon, only $19.95 a month!
The contact app I have on my phone does this, it can automatically block known spam numbers so I never hear it ring, it's a pretty kewl option.

Back