TechSpot

The FCC wants to kill off hidden phone fees

By Emil
Jun 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) wants to prevent the telecom industry from charging its customers with unauthorized or hidden fees on their monthly bills (also known as cramming). FCC Chairman…

Read the whole story

2. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

I have never received such fees. Emil, if you get random fees either you are doing something wrong or you need to find a new phone company

3. techfiend4

techfiend4 TS Rookie

i have seen lots of random fees posted on my bill over the last couple years. not an error on my part either. in this last year one i can remember i was charged for the app Where and att navigator. i own a modded samsung captivate that had all crapware removed and i use google maps for everything, yet i was charged for using these apps.

4. Mr772

Mr772 TS Rookie

"Your exactly the type of customer we love, enjoy your service. Thanks for the regulatory capture fees you paid for us over the past 20 years, we owe you one!"

~Ma' Bell

5. Some of these fees sound like something from Office Space.

I used to work at a large international company and we had a service come in (no out of pocket cost for us) that would review are telecomm bills and find and fix the billing errors. They would take a percentage of whatever savings we got. We actually ended up saving money (getting credited for the errors) and the service made out as well. We would have never reviewed these bills as there were far too many small bills from all our sites that accounting just paid.

6. war59312

war59312 TS Member Posts: 70

TWC put over $90 in hidden fees on my last month bill.

I called and they said it was no mistake but because they had to repair damaged lines. My cable (Internet, Phone, & TV) was out. They came out and repaired it. No mentions of a single fee by anyone!

Thankfully I'm not really paying for it. Well I am but..

So they charge me the $90 last month and I paid it and then next month I get a $90 credit. So not really paying for it.

WTF! Then why even charge me at all? But yeah most people probably never would have even noticed it.

7. Hmm only small phone companies were targetted, maybe this is the doing of large phone companies with politicians in there pockets?

8. BrianUMR

BrianUMR TS Rookie Posts: 44

A few of the large companies have been hit by this before. Cox had someone like this with a line repair fee.

Problem is if someone is making $30 an hour and they have to spend half an hour on the phone to remove a $5 fee every month is it worth there time?

9. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 365   +49

"It's not yet clear what the FCC will outline as an option, but the rules will focus on "transparency and disclosure" for consumers."

Do what makes ****ing sense. Any fees charged are built into the price of the service. We don't give a damn what fees have to be paid, we just want to know what the service will actually cost us.

10. pjamme

pjamme TS Enthusiast Posts: 285

AT&T charged me for an APP that I had never heard of on my BB. Accounts Payable called and AT&T said I probably accidentally downloaded something. I only use it for Email and telephone. never browse and text. Wrong AT&T!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.