the final straw

Status
Not open for further replies.

miked

hello, im at my whits end with my computer when trying to play games, mainly battlefield 2, and emplore anyone to help me as i just cant figure out whats up.

my comp is a 2 gig athlron with 1.25 gigs of ram, and an ati 9550 256 meg card.

ok, so i open up battlefield 2, somtimes i am playing halfway through a game, somtimes it happens at the menu, but either way, the screen goes black, and an "ati vpu recovery message" appears saying

VPU recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands

Please Tell ATI about this problem (it also says that a file containing the systems infromation when the crash happpens has been saved.. mayby i could e mail it to someone?)

at this point, i can sometimes click off this message and go back to thegame, still working fine, but its only a matter of time untill it resets my computer, or the messsage appears again, but this time dissables my graphics card, which only a reboot remedies!

i have replaced the graphics card once and the same problem occurs, i have the latest drivers that iv installed and uninstalled many times.

im quite sure that iv uninstalled the onboard graphics drivers, and if there are bits lurking, surley the game wouldnt work from the start.

i have only one suspission, and thats my psu... i dont really know why, but im thinking that when the game needs a big chunk of power, the psu may not be able to supply it and stops the card from working.. is this viable?

this problem has also happened with my girlfriends computer, brand new comp of semperon 1.9 gig, 750 meg ram and same graphics card.

its just baffeling, please can someone help me here.

mike

First off have a look at the fan on your graphics card to see if it is spinning freely. Also get rid of any dust.
What driver version are you using?

Some 9550's have a fan and some have just a big heatsink. Try setting your in-game graphics options lower and see if it has any positive effects. The 9550 is on the low end of the list of cards that BF2 supports.

fan on card is spinning fine. i have the side of the case because i thaught it may have been a cooling problem, but it seems not after iv had a desk fan on it.

im using catalyst 06.4 the graphics settings are all on low and when the game does play, its smooth and looks fine really. it seems like it happens at a certain point where somthing surges (power/proccesing power needed?) and cuts it out. on the spec. requiements, it says 8550 and up, so surley, although not amazingly, it should run the game?

BF2 works ok on my pc with my 9550. Granted i cant set it to really high res but it works well enough on the lower ones.

If heat is not the issue then perhaps power is?? What make and wattage is your psu?

this suckks

i got so frustrated i pulled my mates 9800 pro out of his computer and wacked it in mine, and it works fine! and its 128!

what can be the problem, surley the 3, 9550s iv seen trying to run battle field but failing cant be a coincodence?

and my pc specs are fine for this game!! really annoying!

i think il get a 9600 pro as its a bit cheeper then the 9800.. should work right?

thanks for all your help anyway guys.

Weird, mine works fine with BF2 (my pc specs are in my profile). Got a friend with a 9550 and a 64bit processor, it works fine on that. Also got a friend with my old system which is a 32 bit 2600 and a 9550 and it runs ok on that too!!!!

I run a AMD 64 3400, 1GB Ram, and a 9250 with 128MB and I can run BF2 fine too, albeit on the lowest of the lowest settings. But no issues, as long as I don't up the settings that is.

Definitely there are some Video Cards that may be incompatible with some games, even when the system requirements say 8550 and higher or whatever it says. Same Happen to me, I had the 9600XT a couple of years ago and I was trying to play TrueCrime LA, and as soon as load the game will take me back to windows desktop, I emailed Activision and they told me 9600 series were incompatible with that game, even when the box says 9000 series are compatible, so as you can see something like this could happen. If someone is running BF2 ok with a 9550 maybe has a better setup on compatibility.

As for the 9600, I will really recommend the XT version, that card is only if you want to play at low or even medium settings with no problems, I used to play with that card BF2, NFS MW, GTA SA, AOE 3, and run those games really good at medium settings (never on high or max). Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back