The Gates Foundation is backing a remote-controlled contraceptive implant that lasts 16 years

Shawn Knight

Staff member

gates foundation chip bill and melinda gates foundation contraceptive implant

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is backing a Massachusetts-based company called MicroCHIPS that specialize in controlled-release medical implants. Their chip, measuring just 20 x 20 x 7 millimeters, is capable of delivering a daily dose of levonorgestrel for use as a contraceptive.

The device would be installed under the skin of the buttocks, upper arm or abdomen. Inside is a reservoir that holds 16 years worth of medicine which is sealed using hermetic titanium and platinum. Passing an electric current through the seal causes it to melt temporarily which releases the daily dose of medicine.

gates foundation

Such implants aren't entirely new. Existing solutions can supply contraceptive medicine for up to five years before needing to be replaced. Additionally, the device must be removed completely should you want to try to have a baby. The MicroCHIPS solution, however, improves upon both of these shortcomings.

For starters, the new device can last up to 16 years before it needs to be replaced - more than three times longer than current implant contraceptives. What's more, the new device can be disabled remotely in the event that you want to conceive. Doctors would also be able to remotely control the dosage to dial in the proper amount of medicine on a per-patient basis.

The team hopes to have a contraceptive version of the device ready for pre-clinical trials next year pending approval from the FDA. Market availability is targeted at 2018, we're told.

Permalink to story.

I am still waiting for the Orgasmorator so I can use it on the elderly in Intensive Care, although I would probably test it first on Ghostryder to calm him down from those horrid 4K results.

Last edited:
Awesome idea, but this story fails to mention the biggest shortcoming of a new method of birth control. It's not for men! (it uses levonorgestrel). We need one for men, and it needs to be sold at drug stores for like $3 and not require men to actually remember to use it. Baby daddys rejoice!

But seriously....
It's sort of ironic; The Gates foundation usually works for fixes to problems in developing countries. This could be terrific for women in 3rd world countries, but those countries also have a terrible AIDS problem. The threat of pregnancy does serve to promote forms of contraception that also protect against STDs (like condoms). This would not protect against STDs and would likely make the AIDS epidemic worse.... Although to be fair, there would be fewer orphans, but I don't think that's a good trade-off.

Awesome idea, but this story fails to mention the biggest shortcoming of a new method of birth control. It's not for men! (it uses levonorgestrel). We need one for men, and it needs to be sold at drug stores for like $3 and not require men to actually remember to use it. Baby daddys rejoice!

But seriously....
It's sort of ironic; The Gates foundation usually works for fixes to problems in developing countries. This could be terrific for women in 3rd world countries, but those countries also have a terrible AIDS problem. The threat of pregnancy does serve to promote forms of contraception that also protect against STDs (like condoms). This would not protect against STDs and would likely make the AIDS epidemic worse.... Although to be fair, there would be fewer orphans, but I don't think that's a good trade-off.
They aren't just backing one contraceptive, so it's not ironic...

You know how many backwards religious people (there are billions) will assume this is the chip of the devil and not use it based on fear?

You know how many backwards religious people (there are billions) will assume this is the chip of the devil and not use it based on fear?

I used to be on the fence as far as theism was concerned. Then I was exposed to stereotypical atheists, and, based on further study of their behavior, determined that Satan was not only real, but actively operating an a55hole factory somewhere in Nicaragua.

... The threat of pregnancy does serve to promote forms of contraception that also protect against STDs (like condoms)...

If HIV isn't enough to stop people from having sex, I doubt anything could, including pregnancy, particularly at places where accountability after sex isn't high on the priority list.

Yes it is. I didn't say the Gates' foundation stance on contraception was ironic because of this one single thing. I said this one single thing was ironic. It's ironic that a foundation devoted to health in 3rd world countries is producing a medical device that will be so popular in the 1st world, while having a serious detriment if it's used in the 3rd world. That doesn't mean I don't applaud them for it, I think cheap and effective contraception would help every country.

I hope these get implanted at birth and removed only when a person qualifies to become a parent.

So many dead sh1t parents and crystal meth smoking kids around already, we need to let them die off.

I am still waiting for the Orgasmorator so I can use it on the elderly in Intensive Care, although I would probably test it first on Ghostryder to calm him down from those horrid 4K results.
I think that was called the "Excessive Machine", and "Barbarella" broke it.

Yes it is. I didn't say the Gates' foundation stance on contraception was ironic because of this one single thing. I said this one single thing was ironic. It's ironic that a foundation devoted to health in 3rd world countries is producing a medical device that will be so popular in the 1st world, while having a serious detriment if it's used in the 3rd world. That doesn't mean I don't applaud them for it, I think cheap and effective contraception would help every country.

Its pretty clear that the Gates Foundation is only interested in lowering the population of white people, particularly middle class conservatives.

Its pretty clear that the Gates Foundation is only interested in lowering the population of white people, particularly middle class conservatives.

Speaking only in relation to this article, aren't middle class conservatives, by definition, less inclined to use long-term birth control? If we're going to discuss the impact of birth rates on first world population groups, it seems intuitive to me that this would be a greater threat to progressives and liberals, as they tend to be 1) more promiscuous and 2) less desiring of offspring, on average.

To strike a double-entendre, this is more akin to a demographic Trojan horse than a savvy eugenics strategy.

Speaking only in relation to this article, aren't middle class conservatives, by definition, less inclined to use long-term birth control? If we're going to discuss the impact of birth rates on first world population groups, it seems intuitive to me that this would be a greater threat to progressives and liberals, as they tend to be 1) more promiscuous and 2) less desiring of offspring, on average.
Speaking factually, the white birth rate equaled the white death rate last year. Or at least, so said the OTA TV national broadcast news.

The simple fact of the matter is, large city school districts are broke, because the base population of those needing schools for their children, cannot be counted amoug the taxpayers supporting those self same schools. In other, less tactful words, the "minorities" clamoring for "equality" in education, somehow believe that "the great white father", in Washington DC, will print more "currency", without the benefit of them restricting their, sales of narcotics, lack of ambition to even think about getting a job, and most importantly, restrict their ability to get pregnant by whichever man happens to be, this month's temporary, "baby daddy".

More succinctly, "we breed 'em m***** f*****r, but we ain't got no damn intention of feeding 'em". Das yo job.

And @davislane ,Caucasians of the "liberal persuasion", are perhaps more likely to incur higher medical expenses, when in the event they do decide to have children. Fertility clinics, ultrasound tests on aging mothers, et al. They may however, offer temporary employment for would-be surrogate mothers as the, "ticking of their biological clock", becomes as loud as someone banging on the side of an empty 55 gallon drum with a sledge hammer. Sort of a cottage industry, as it were. Or perhaps one might say, "mattress industry".

Unless you're the governor of California, then you just knock up the Spanish maid and be done with it.

In either case, the Caucasian race, regardless of political affiliation, (at least in the US), is having a tough time keeping up with a plethora of minority "competitors", in the race to overpopulate and render uninhabitable, our planet.

And if anyone thinks I'm in any way wrong about this, talk to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Hispanic_Whites

Last edited:
Back