TechSpot

The GeForce4 Family

By uncleel
Mar 28, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is taken from the latest edition of MaximumPC Magazine. (Apr 02)
  2. Pseudo

Pseudo TS Rookie

Seems a lot of people are rightly holding off buying a GF4 until the Ti4200 is released, at US$200 that's a very decent card!

I would love some certainty into release dates of the Ti4200, must be mid to late-April.
  3. Gman

Gman TS Rookie

I want one!

I want to get myself a GeForce 4600ti. The only problem is getting the dough togeather!;)
  4. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,145

remember this is "suggested" retail, & I've already seen ads for lower prices.
  5. uncleel

6. PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine TS Rookie Posts: 375

What is this, a commercial for Geforce?:confused:
  7. Redstar259

Redstar259 TS Rookie

G4 TI 4600`

:grinthumb :cool: :p :) heh.. I have the G4 TI 4600 .... I got the money together by selling all my console systems.... And you want to know something I am glad I did it beats them all in any contest..... I have witnessed the full power of the G4 about 4 months ago and desided right there and then what todo to get my hands on one ... it kickes the X-box right in the you know what
  8. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

Hopefully the Ti4200 knocks the Geforce 4 MX right out of the Nvidia product catalog. Not that its a bad card, but the Ti4200 is almost the same price as the MX and gives the user DX8 support.
  9. svtcobra

Re: G4 TI 4600

The GF4 is more powerful than the Xbox but by the time a DX8 game comes out that makes use of the GF4 power, the Xbox 2 will be out and be kicking graphical but everywhere.
  10. XYZ359

XYZ359 TS Rookie Posts: 123

Re: G4 TI 4600`

Considering the card was made quite a while after the XBox.

You have to remember that the XBox was designed to run games and graphics at the best it can.

While, our computers were designed to do everything at the best it can.

XBox - Made for gaming.
    Has two lines to spread out apon.
    Good for gaming.

Notes:
    These things last a while...
    You don't have to upgrade them at all.
    Just buy a new one when it come out, (1 or 2 years later).

General PC - Made for alot of things.
    Spread out on everything it can do.
    Average for everything.

Notes:
    These things do not last a while.
    You do have to upgrade them constantly, (in my opinion, depends on what your demands are, but you still have to upgrade it a while).
    You may buy a new one later (it also depends on your demands).

In my opinion, I just think the XBox is still better for gaming.
    That's why the consoles will never be better than the PCs (gaming wise).

It just depends on how you make your PC perform.

But they both have their ups and downs (I'm not going to say ALL of them..).

Farewell.

:grinthumb
  11. uncleel

While the new issue of MaximumPC (Apr/02) has a 10 page spread on the GeForce4 with raves like...
    * "You won't see graphics like this on your stinkin' game console!"
    * "60 million transistors, two programmable vertex pipelines, & 10GB/sec memory pipeline."
    it also includes rants like...
    * "We Want Our DirectX 8 Games!

So we wait for Unreal2 & DooM3.

12. svtcobra

Yeah, I got the mag last week in the mail..I am looking forward to something better than Aqaunox. It seems that max pc is just as anxious as the rest of us. The GF4 may be faster than any gaming console, but with no games out that showcase its visual and speed greatness together in one package its all talk and no walk for the GF4. Its not the GF4's fault. Either these game developers need to get off their butts and get some good DX8 games out to the GF3 & GF4 users or Nvidia needs to start making games (which I think they should).
  13. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 868

No GeForce 5!!!

Looks like some of you drooling over a GeForce 4 might want to wait and see what Nvidia has in store for next year.

14. uncleel

yea, I read a blurb @ Anand's I think. But I wouldn't look for any major breakthroughs The critics are quoted as saying, ' The GeF4 is just a GeF3 on steroids." I think they're trying to make a less expensive chip work better. Already own the high-end market.
    http://www.maximumpc.com/
  15. XYZ359

XYZ359 TS Rookie Posts: 123

Well, with NVidia's good FPS and 3DFX's good image quality, I think it'll turn out pretty well.

That's basically all I have to say.

:grinthumb
  16. SuperCheetah

From the benchmarks I've been seeing that's a whole lot of steriods!!! ;)

I think I'm going to invest in an ATI for know, and see what Nvidia has in store later.
  17. uncleel

http://www.pcvsconsole.com/

p.s. in the near future, you'll have a better chance of selling a used GeF4mx than a ATI, for your next vid-card purchase.
  18. SuperCheetah

Fall!!! Wow, sooner that I expected. Hmm...maybe I need to hold off for a bit on a new card then. I wouldn't guess there would be any early price specs? ;) Just Kidding of course, I can't imagine there would, but who knows.
  19. uncleel

I've read no rumors of a breakthrough technology.
    nVidia owns the high-end now w/ no competitior in sight.
    So businesswise it would be smart of them to expand their base w/ a less expensive chip for budget cards. (not to mention all the consules) ;)
  20. SuperCheetah

You might be right, but the appealing thing about the ATI 8500DV card that I want is that fact that I can watch TV through transparent windows with the software that comes with the card. I find this to be an extremely useful feature. (I watch too many movies and whatnot I know :) )

Also the ability to record live tv and all the other goodies that come with the ATI card, I find very appealing.

Do you know of anything Nvidia has that might compare to this??? I've asked around here in the forums, but gotten no responses.
  21. uncleel

Nope, but I sincerely hope ATi does well w/ that technology. I don't want nVidia to be a monopoly. That's a smart business move to appeal to non-gamers & other interests.
  22. svtcobra

I hope that nvidia uses 3dfx's excellent AA technology. I am definately going to wait till the fall to see what Nvidia releases next. If I buy a GF4 now I'll be kicking myself wishing I waited. Plus, I will get close to 2 years out of my GF3 which is really good.
  23. SuperCheetah

Agreed uncleel, noone will benefit from a monopoly.

I do hope Nvidia uses 3dfx's technology wisely, I'm already eager to see what their going to bring to the table.
  24. uncleel

We Want Our DirectX 8 Games!

I think the MX would be a safe bet then. Just the problem playing DirectX 8, but those games won't be out to the fall either.

p.s. I waited for V5-6000 :(
  25. svtcobra

Re: We Want Our DirectX 8 Games!

I was gonna wait for a V5-6000 as well!!!

If I had to get a GF4 for whatever reason, I would get the 4200. DX8 support and only 20 bucks more than the MX.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.