The HijackThis discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickk1

I can't imagine anyone running hijackthis. you can actually remove those same problems in hijackthis but using spybot's advanced settings. And spybot is lots easier to use and to understand too.

rickk1's: As I`ve tried to explain to you before, Spybot never has, and never will get rid of all infections. This is simply beyond it`s capabilities, although it is a very good programme nonetheless.

HJT is a very useful tool for diagnosing and helping to get rid of infections. Why do you think there are so many HJT log helpers around?

To simply say
I can't imagine anyone running hijackthis.
Is to do a disservice to folks who have an infection and to those that help to get rid of them.

Regards Howard :)

Truth be told, hijackthis is not as good as you think and it can be very technical to use too. It is not for everyone and those that do use it may not necessarily use it as good as they could.

Furthermore, hijackthis is quickly becoming an obsolete tool. It cannot find alot of problems. In fact, based on my experiences and my friends experiences with hijackthis and spybot, our findings show that spybot wins overall. But, you must use Spybot's advanced settings to utilize this.

I've been using Spybot for several years and have noticed that it offers the same tools as hijackthis via its advanced mode and it is much easier to use and more user friendly. I never said Spybot found everything. There is no 1 such program that does it all. It is just my opinion that hijackthis is an obsolete program that doesn't and can't do as much as you think it can.

Another thing, hijackthis is just as horrible as AdAware. They're both obsolete!

Every single malware forum in the world, uses HJT, maybe you think their all wrong and obsolete?

I find your fixation with Spybot disturbing to say the least. Don`t you think, that`s putting to much faith in one programme?

Malware comes in that many different flavours, that to discount any single antimalware programme is just plain silly and unhelpful.

You now say that Ad-Aware is also a horrible programme, when it is clear, the programme has stood the test of time and is used by millions of people worldwide. Just because you might not be too keen on it, doesn`t make it a bad programme.

Maybe, you should consider joining the Malware University. then see what you think of HJT, before coming here and pouring cold water on it.

I agree with Howard 100%.

I have just started learning at the malware university and they say that HijackThis is THE number 1 program for fighting malware all across the world. How can the whole world be wrong?!?!

I too agree with Howard and Rik.

While HijackThis does not remove anything automatically, it does a great job of showing the infections present on a system, so that forum helpers know what specialized tools to use, and what to remove manually. HijackThis does also remove BHOs, ActiveX controls, registry keys, etc. if you tell it to do so.

Please don't discredit this tool, which has helped so many people worldwide.

Regards :)

I disagree. Totally!! Hijackthis is quickly becoming an obsolete tool. I'm beginning to believe as well that most everyone here is in cahoots with hijackthis. I think you're all troubled over the fact that your precious hijackthis can be replaced and has been replaced by a company that is more user-friendly that is gearing itself more towards the typical consumer instead of mainly techs. And then YOU say that I am fixated on spybot!!! WHOA Nellie!!! I see the reverse as being true!!! You're all fixated on hijackthis.

To each their own. My choice is to stay away from such a scary tool as hijackthis. If it is perceived wrong, it can do more harm than good in the hands of a novice.

rickk1 said:
I'm beginning to believe as well that most everyone here is in cahoots with hijackthis.
Now, you`re just being totally ridiculous.

I think you're all troubled over the fact that your precious hijackthis can be replaced
With what and please don`t say Spybot.

You're all fixated on hijackthis.
Hell, yes! That`s because it works and is also the reason it`s every malware fighting site in the worl uses it.

If it is perceived wrong, it can do more harm than good in the hands of a novice.
You are of course correct. But no one is saying that HJT is meant for the average use with out supervision.

Since this thread of simon728`s has turned into a discussion on the ins and outs of HijackThis. I`m splitting off the posts that are nothing to do with simon728`s problems and placing them in they`re own thread called The HijackThis discussion.

Anyone else wishing to contribute to this thread, is more than welcome.

lol...I'M being ridiculous?!? Perhaps you need to take a break and then look to see what you're writing. According to you, hijackthis rules the world! NOT!!!

I see hijackthis as being another wannabe program for a bunch of dried up techies that don't want to agree that there are far better programs than that yucky program you're all making out to be as GOD!

Thanks for the great laugh too! Clowns!! I see and hear from them everyday. This site has alot of them tooo...roflmao

According to you, hijackthis rules the world!

What a totally ridiculous thing to say. I said
Howard_hopkinso said:
every malware fighting site in the world uses it.
Where by any stretch of the imagination is that saying it rules the world?

I see hijackthis as being another wannabe program for a bunch of dried up techies that don't want to agree that there are far better programs than that yucky program you're all making out to be as GOD!

It seems you`re completely incapable of having an adult discussion, without resorting to childish remarks. It`s one thing to disagree, it`s quite another to start name calling and making innuendos.

Thanks for the great laugh too! Clowns!! I see and hear from them everyday. This site has alot of them tooo...roflmao

If that`s really what you think of our forums, then feel free to leave.

Edit: I have just deleted you less than helpful post in https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic85927.html. Please don`t make any more such posts.

lol...I feel the same way about you! You're the one being very sensitive here to criticism. Your precious hijackthis and its followers need to get over the fact that their favorite program is becoming obsolete.

I merely make statements about spybot and hijackthis and you go on the attack! Wahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get over it!

Rickk1, you're dumb and that's it

Just because you probably f***ed your system anally because you didn't listen to what someone said to delete doesn't mean it's a bad program.

Howard helped me with HJT allllooottt of times and now my computer is hella fast and I haven't been infected with any viruses since I joined this forums :|

-TPX

I merely make statements about spybot and hijackthis and you go on the attack! Wahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get over it!

Spybot: S&D is good but HiJackThis is alot better

Out of curiosity, what advanced features does Spybot - S&D have that HijackThis doesn't have?

In my opinion, HijackThis checks all the critical areas of a system: running processes, browser home and search pages, toolbars, startup programs, LSPs, ActiveX controls, services, etc. Does Spybot have these features?

Regards :)

rickk1: I wasn`t being sensitive, but merely pointing out the facts. You can bang on as much as you like about HJT and Spybot, but the fact remains, HJT is one of the most widely used tools in the fight against malware.

rickk1 said:
I merely make statements about spybot and hijackthis

That`d be ok, if you offered any proof of your claims, unfortunately you haven`t seen fit to do so.

I deal with viruse/malware problems everyday of my life and have done for several years. I have yet to see a better alternative to using HJT. The fact that every other antimalware site also uses HJT, bears out it`s effectiveness.

Spybot has the following features within the advanced mode of its program. It scans for cookies, hijackers, keyloggers, malware, tracks, trojans, security, pups, spybots. Those are located under the settings tab.

Under the Tools tab, you will find that spybot provides a resident program that provides overall system protection as well as bad download blockers. The tools tab also provides tools such as ActiveX, BHO's (Browser Helper Objects), browser pages.

It also provides a unique tool called IE Tweaks that:
1. Lock hosts files read-only as protection against hijackers
2. Lock IE Start page against user changes (current user)
3. Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)

You can also add spybot's list of hosts files that will block specific internet servers for known bad behavior (mostly sites installing spyware or using tracking functions).

Spybot also gives you a tool so that you can opt-out addresses for spam and websites for cookies.

Another spybot function is that it shows all running processes currently running on your system and it gives you the option to kill any 1 or more of these processes.

It also checks your registry for entries that use incorrect filenames or user non-existent paths.

Spybot also provides a tool to view your system startup so that you can manage those applications that run at startup.

It also provides uninstall information and it shows all installed network drivers.

Spybot can also be scheduled to run, provides skins, and can be read in alot of different languages.

Under the File sets within the setting tab, you can tell the system what categories of threats will be scanned.

Spybot also provides the user the ability to create a restore point...does hijackthis do this? NOT!!!

There are other settings that are too numerous to mention.

Sorry, I almost forgot this as well.

Spybot updates every week on Wednesday's. After getting any updates, make sure to immunize the system several times.

Sometimes during updates, the user may receive a checksum error during installation. This is due to the server providing the updates is busy or overworked. To counteract this, it gives the user the option to download from other sites.

Hmmm...does hijackthis provide recovery in case the file removed was an important system file? Spybot does!

Yes HJT does provide recovery. As well as a host of other useful tools, such as delete an NT Service/Ad spy/Delete file on reboot/uninstall manager/process manager/Hosts manager/ etc.

No, it doesn`t enable the making of restore points. As you well know, Windows can easily achieve this. In any case, as I`ve pointed out, HJT does make backups that can easily be restored if so warranted.

There is no denying spybot is an excellent programme and has some very useful features.

The point I`m trying to make is HJT is far more useful as a diagnotstic tool and that`s why it is so important.

It only takes a few seconds to do a HJT scan and straight away a log can be posted, that will show or indicate the presence of malware. Then in conjunction with other tools and techniques, HJT can be use to great effect to stop and the malware from running.

To shut your eyes to the usefulness of HJT is to take away one of the most useful tools in the fight against malware.

rickk1 said:
..( HJT) can be very technical to use too.It is not for everyone and those that do use it may not necessarily use it as good as they could.
My Mother sent me an HJT log (after instructions), via email.My Mother is 74.

We got there in the end.

If I`d asked her to explore the advanced options of SSD,she would

have thrown the PC out the window. :D

In fact, even I can`t work out the advanced options.

HJT and SSD are different programs, that do different things.

It is not an either/or situation.

HJT may scan in a few minutes BUT not everyone can comprehend the results. And then, there are those techs that wreak havoc on systems for the fun of it and since they're so hard to identify, they could be some of the techs that explain the results.

With Spybot, there is no need to post anything. It takes care of itself. I also believe that HJT is not as much as a diagnostic tool as Spybot. In fact, HJT lacks alot of abilities that Spybot has yet Spybot can and does do everything that HJT does and more since Spybot's results gives the user the results without having to rely on someone that may or may not be trustworthy. We all know there are some untrustworthy techs in the world. I've ran into several of them in my lifetime.

To the untrained eye of most users, HJT cannot and does not say which file(s) are corrupt or infected or both....Spybot does. HJT also does not show the location of the infected and/or corrupt file whereas Spybot does. HJT requires logs to be posted for other techs to decipher whereas Spybot deciphers for the user.

I've used HJT several times and was not impressed with it. I'll stick to Spybot.

Ok, you stick to spybot and the rest of us will use whatever tools/programmes are necessary to remove whatever infections may be present.;)

I`ll repeat what I said earlier, HJT is and never was intended to be used unsupervised by the average computer user. I doubt whether Spybot`s advanced features would fair much better in the hands of a novice, without supervision.

HJT, is just one of many diagnostic tools used to indicate the presence of malware. The fact remains, it is the number one choice of antimalware helpers the world over and I suspect will remain that way for a long time to come. It`s effectiveness has been proved time and time again. I have never come across an antimalware forum that uses Spybot, in the way you advocate, rather than HJT.

howard_hopkinso said:
I have never come across an antimalware forum that uses Spybot, in the way you advocate, rather than HJT.

Perhaps it is time for a change....

Truth be told, I'm a member of several other tech forums and this is the only one that says hjt is the one to use.

Why should we all change on just your say so tho? It's almost like you want to enforce your opinion (and we are all entitled to have one) upon everyone else.
I respect your opinion, i wish you would respect everyone elses.

I find that interesting.

Could you provide us with some links to these other tech forums, so we might be able to see for ourselves?

rik said:
I respect your opinion, i wish you would respect everyone elses.

Ever since I've been a member of this forum, I've heard nothing but crap from other members and from you too in reference to my belief about hjt and spybot.

And then you have the gall to say that you respect my opinion...what a laugh!

Perhaps if you could provide some proof of your claims as Howard asks then we may be able to see your side of things a little better!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back