The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is most pirated film of 2013

Scorpus

Staff member

hobbit unexpected journey bittorrent movie piracy film downloads pirates the hobbit

Following news from TorrentFreak last week that Game of Thrones was the most pirated TV show of 2013, it has now been revealed that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was the most pirated film of the year. TorrentFreak reports that with around 8.4 million downloads through BitTorrent, Peter Jackson's three-hour epic narrowly beat Django Unchained, which posted 8.1 million downloads.

TorrentFreak: Most downloaded movies on BitTorrent, 2013

Rank Show Estimated Downloads Worldwide Grosses
1 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 8,400,000 $1,017,003,568
2 Django Unchained 8,100,000 $425,368,238
3 Fast and Furious 6 7,900,000 $788,679,850
4 Iron Man 3 7,600,000 $1,215,439,994
5 Silver Linings Playbook 7,500,000 $236,412,453
6 Star Trek Into Darkness 7,400,000 $467,365,246
7 Gangster Squad 7,200,000 $105,200,903
8 Now You See Me 7,000,000 $351,723,989
9 The Hangover Part 3 6,900,000 $351,000,072
10 World War Z 6,700,000 $540,007,876

Other major, high-grossing films to make the top ten list include Fast and Furious 6 (7.9 million downloads), Iron Man 3 (7.6 million), Star Trek Into Darkness (7.4 million) and World War Z (6.7 million). The lowest-grossing film on the list was Gangster Squad, which made $105 million at the box office and recorded 7.2 million illegal downloads.

Out of 2013's top grossing films at the box office, only two films made it to the top 10 most pirated for the year; meanwhile The Hobbit was the only film from 2012's highest grossing that made the list. The United States box office will likely record the best year in history, but piracy still remains a significant factor for studios worldwide.

Permalink to story.

And it's so sad that they didn't make any money.
The only movie I pirated there was Star trek and F&F 6 and out of the two I bought the blu-ray version of Star trek and cried that I wasted bandwidth on downloading F&F 6.

It's not that they (the studios) are not making money, it's they feel they are missing out on the extra revenue for the pirated copies. Now what do you think would happen if the studios would release a (low def) downloadable version for free but you would have to pay for the high def version. Be it watching it in theaters, DVD/blu-ray.

$1.2billion for iron man 3... jesus...

I know. I haven't seen any of the Iron Man movies. And I guess this goes without saying from my first sentence but I don't really care if I ever see any of them. I liked Batman Begins and the first Dark Knight with Heath Ledger as the Joker. Never bothered with the sequel. Unlike a lot of people, if the trailer doesn't inspire to see the movie, what makes people think that the actual movie will be any good?

Same goes for, what's it called again, "The Hobbitt"? LOL. Meh, maybe if I had nothing else better to do on planet earth. "Lord of the Rings" movies were over-hyped. Wasted enough time on those movies.

With movie rentals only costing a $1.27? at Red Box it's hard to understand why people still pirate. You can even buy some Blu-Ray movies for $5 a piece. If the movie industry, hell for that matter, if the entire "digital bits for sale" industry sold all their intellectual properties at reasonable prices, again Steam being the poster child for this massive success, piracy would probably disappear. Paying $19.99 to own a blu-ray movie is okay for the early adopters. Charging a premium on digital-bits for early adopters is no crime. But charging premiums for digital bits that have been out for a long time should be a crime.

One of the most egregious crimes I see right now is what they are charging for Cyberlink's PowerDVD Ultra 13. A $100 for something that can be infinitely reproduced when you can go out and buy a physical Blu-Ray hardware player for $40.00. Is something wrong here people? $100 for a virtual Blu-Ray player software? Uh, I don't think so. Cyberlink software is why piracy exists. Steam, on the other hand, balances it all out I guess.

Last edited:
Iron Man 3 was really , really , really trash

I haven't seen it but I'll take your word for it. The commercials never inspired me enough to watch any of the movies. I wonder if it's because I can't take Robert Downey junior very seriously as an actor. He was good in 'Back to School' but outside of pure comedies he doesn't seem to fit the action hero role in my opinion.
How does a movie that sucks gross $1.2bn? Over-hyped? Momentum from the first 2 that were worth watching it? Incredible none the less.

Movie trailer quality still doesn't mean anything. They are a sales pitch regardless of content.

For people who ignore the purpose of the trailers...I agree with you. Most people probably decided they would see Iron Man 3 when it was first announced that it was being made. I don't make my movie decision that way. I loved The Dark Knight. In spite of that fact I never had any(or to be honest, hardly any) desire to see the follow up. Since the main vilian is a guy wearing a cup on his face. I loved Matrix 1, Matrix 2 was 'eh, okay'. Never even bothered wasting my time on number 3. I don't have to see a movie just 'cuz'.

But yeah, I agree, a trailer does different things for different people. One thing it does, is simply make people aware that a movie is out. "Oh hey, I just seen Iron Man 3 commerical on television." "Cool beans, lets go see it". No thought invested in the actual content of the trailer. No desire to wait for movie reviews and feedback. I wonder what the demographic is of the $1.2bn that Iron Man 3 took in. Teens going out on first dates? That's my best guess. LOL.

Wow. Things are so much easier for me than most of you guys. I enjoy most movies I see and I try to see pretty much anything I get a chance to. I'm fairly easy to please and have enjoyed almost everything people have called garbage in this thread so far. I enjoyed all the Iron Man movies, all the new Batman movies, the first Matrix was almost life changing and the next two were just okay, I've enjoyed all the F&F except Tokyo Drift, and I love all of the LotR and related movies. Guess I just like movies.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Budget $200-315 million
Box office $1,017,003,568

I think they're doing ok so far...

Last edited:
Given the subject matter of and potential audience of, "The Hobbit", this thread has destroyed all my fondest imaginings & stereotypes....:(

I wishfully thought this was a pirate:
molded-skull-eyepatch.jpg

Now I come to find out this is a pirate:
young-brown-haired-geek-glasses-11544674.jpg

"Oh the horror, the horror" (Francis Ford Coppola (?) or possibly Marlon Brando, maybe even Martin Sheen, who cares)?

Last edited:
I went into the Hobbit thinking it was going to be Lord of the Rings... Needless to say I was disappointed. Still have not seen the second one. Doubt I will.

If, "Lord of the Rings", was a trilogy, why would anyone expect , "The Hobbit", to be any less?

"Star Wars", was supposed to be three trilogies, until George Lucas finally said, "f*** it". I guess he didn't want to make too much money, assuming that's even possible.

What would you call that anyway, a "trilogy trilogy"....?

If, "Lord of the Rings", was a trilogy, why would anyone expect , "The Hobbit", to be any less?

"Star Wars", was supposed to be three trilogies, until George Lucas finally said, "f*** it". I guess he didn't want to make too much money, assuming that's even possible.

What would you call that anyway, a "trilogy trilogy"....?

Well The Lord of the Rings books are a trilogy since there are three of them but The Hobbit is only one book. I guess people assumed 3 books equals 3 movie while 1 book equals 1 movie but that wasn't enough for the investors.

Well The Lord of the Rings books are a trilogy since there are three of them but The Hobbit is only one book. I guess people assumed 3 books equals 3 movie while 1 book equals 1 movie but that wasn't enough for the investors.
Well, if they only made 1 movie out of the one book, the nerds would be second guessing the producers, and whining what got left out that they feel should have been left in, yadda, yadda, yadda, ad nauseum. etc, etc, etc. So now, the confederation of nerds, can suck on what amounts to being charged 3 times, for inflicting themselves with what likely amounts to, "an acute hobbit overdose".

I have to confess though, I do have a weakness for talking dragons. So, I guess I'm on the wrong side of the current conflict. (At least if I've understood the ads for this movie).

In any event, I'm quite aware that, "Lord of the Rings", was a trilogy. In fact, it was required reading for any would be, "hippie", worth his or her weed during the 60's & 70's..

With that said, I did sneak in reading most of the more popular hipster novels of the period, "Steppenwolf", "Slaughter House Five", and "Brave New World", (which was the best novel ever, IMO).

I bought ALL three (!), Lord of the Rings movies, but in the same way I didn't read the books, I haven't watched the movies either. Perhaps I should put that on my bucket list.

I have to side with @LNCPapa on this. If the figures on the screen move, and sound comes out of the speakers, it's more, "movie making magic", than I've been able to accomplish. So, I subdue any negative rant I might enjoy having at the movie's expense, and simply let the experience pass into history.

If that makes me easy to amuse, so be it.

Oddly, I can tolerate about 42 minutes of even the most heinous stinkers, before I shut them off. (Hint, 42 minutes, is the actual length of a 1 hour TV scripted drama).

Last edited:
In any event, I'm quite aware that, "Lord of the Rings", was a trilogy. In fact, it was required reading for any would be, "hippie", worth his or her weed during the 60's & 70's..

Oddly, I can tolerate about 42 minutes of even the most heinous stinkers, before I shut them off. (Hint, 42 minutes, is the actual length of a 1 hour TV scripted drama).

Any would be, "hippie", worth his or her *Pipe-weed :D

And I figured 42 minutes was chosen because it is the answer to life, the universe, and everything...

Any would be, "hippie", worth his or her *Pipe-weed :D

And I figured 42 minutes was chosen because it is the answer to life, the universe, and everything...
Considering that most people today get their exposure to, "life, the universe, and everything", from TV scripted dramas, the producers of "Hitchhiker's'", may not have entirely chosen that number at random to begin with ..!:)

Disclaimer: The above statement is possibly a, "pipe dream", on the part of its originator...

Last edited:
I used to go to the theater to watch movies, but I've been disappointed again and again. They always show all the good scenes in the trailer. I haven't watched any movie that has come out in the last year and half. I torrent television shows that are not on Netflix. I don't bother at all with movies anymore.

If anyone wonders why Hollywood can continue to make trash and sell it they just need to read this thread. I love you too and Happy New Year

If films were good folks would buy but most of these titles were not that great IMO.

Back