The idea of autopilot in cars

RenGood08

Cars that can drive themselves have always been a thought of Sci-Fi or a future far too distant for our generations. But who knows. Technology is growing at a massive pace and we might be seeing these cars before you know it. I believe they could be a help to society, considering the amount of people who wouldn't need to worry about falling asleep behind the wheel, they could sleep and the car will drive them to their destination. A dream come true. But wouldn't the risks of things going wrong be far more significant than of things being perfect or right? These cars would be a great addition to the technology world today. But are they really safer?

Lol wow that's a good point. The only thing I'd be worried about is that thieves are getting smarter. I mean there are a lot of advantages. Hopefully there is massive security on these.

Anything that is operated by a computer can and will be hacked, just look at electronic key fobs. I'm not keen on all the electronics going into cars nowadays, I recently rented a car with an electronic handbrake and while I was loading the boot it started rolling off...

See. That would be my issue with having so much electronic technology being put into these cars. With a car being self driving, that is a heck of a lot of computer technology being put into one small area. That would be more susceptible to being hacked. It would be easier for car thieves to steal a car. I bet all you would need to do is hack into the car and tell the car to turn on and drive away to a new destination. That might be a lot of hacking power...but thieves are getting smarter...like I've said.

Anything that is operated by a computer can and will be hacked, just look at electronic key fobs. I'm not keen on all the electronics going into cars nowadays, I recently rented a car with an electronic handbrake and while I was loading the boot it started rolling off...

Exactly.

We need to improve security before this can become the norm. That improved security will come soon, considering the recent breakthroughs in quantum cryptography. Hopefully, this technology can be applied beyond networks.

Keep in mind, recently, a flaw was discovered in the API of the software used in Tesla cars. It emphasizes how no software is hack-proof.

Pardon me, is that "boot" supposed to be boat? "As I was loading the "boot" it started rolling off.

I'm pretty sure slh28 meant boot as in trunk. In the UK, boot is the US trunk.

Back