The Internet Association announces support for controversial Trans-Pacific Partnership deal

midian182

Staff member

When a deal was reached on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) last year, activists called the agreement the “biggest global threat to the internet,” claiming it would bring massive new online restrictions around the world.

One of the many criticisms directed at the TPP is that it favors the interests of big businesses; part of the deal appears to state - using vague wording - that revealing corporate wrongdoings “through a computer system” will be made a crime. And while a number of companies have voiced their support of the plan, one holdout has been influential trade group The Internet Association (IA) – until now.

The IA, which counts Google, Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, Yahoo, Uber, and eBay among its members, has finally endorsed the controversial pact after previously expressing concern over certain elements, such as the intellectual property laws.

“The TPP recognizes the Internet as an essential American export,” said Internet Association CEO, Michael Beckerman, in a statement. “Historically, pro-Internet policies have been absent from trade agreements, which is why the TPP is an important step forward for the Internet sector that accounts for 6 percent of the GDP and nearly 3 million American jobs.

“It will be critical that the TPP is implemented in a way that supports the Internet economy.”

As part of the agreement, Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam have agreed to take on the various intellectual property and internet laws of the US.

The trade deal was signed on February 4 this year, but it faces opposition in congress, which still needs to ratify the agreement before it can come into effect.

Permalink to story.

Congress isn't going to do anything about this bill because they're pockets are going to be far too stuffed for them to care. This is just yet another bill the American people are going to have to put up with along with the patriot act and citizens united. It's really a joke.

I am surprised that congress is sitting on the bill at the moment. Could they have finally grown a heart ... or just holding out for more perks? In any case, no matter the claims, the proof is in the putting and it usually takes an issue the size of VW to get the attention of the lawmakers ..... only time will tell!

Since it's been close to 3 years since the last revision of the deal was leaked, I'm sure a lot has changed. I'd be curious to see that. Considering what was once in it I doubt much has changed--a "trade bill" with completely other things intended.

Back