'The Interview' becomes Sony's top online film release of all time

By Shawn Knight
Jan 8, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. The Interview, the controversial film from Sony Pictures that saw its nationwide theatrical release cancelled before finding a home at select independently-owned theaters and online in the wake of a devastating attack against the studio, could end up becoming one...

Read more
  2. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

What other Triple-A title has Sony done an online release for on Day 1?
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

right? this didn't sound like a hard record to break.

No it doesn't. I don't much about how studios and theaters negotiate movie releases, but I imagine that Marcus and AMC etc won't be too happy if Sony decides to release some of their movies online. Online purchases don't come with overpriced popcorn after all.
  4. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Booster Posts: 131   +65

So its #1 ... of 1?
    JohnCB likes this.
  5. Title should be: "Sony's least successful online release so far"
  6. I wonder where the mysterious "hackers" will be from next time. Russia? Or Iran perhaps?
  7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,432   +473

Maybe from Guestland.
    Hexic likes this.
  8. Currently, someone who downloads pirated movies online has the option on release day of a big movie to:

1. Download a shitty Cam version, where someone sits there in a movie theater recording the movie with a cell phone. The quality is terrible.
    2. Download a screener, if there is one - quality is almost tolerable, but lower than retail
    3. Wait several months until the movie is out on Blu-Ray, so the movies they download are Blu-Ray rips (HD Quality)
    4. Go watch it in theaters
    If that person likes quality, which almost everyone does, 3 and 4 are the only options, which means even pirates have a reason to go pay to watch a movie in a theater. If movies had simultaneous releases online, there'd be a piracy group that would buy it, rip it, and movies would start being released on torrent sites in HD quality on day one. Sony would lose a massive amount of money. They're unlikely to ever do that - at least not until they have some system that ensures that an online release cannot be copied and released on torrent sites, which is ridiculously hard to do, especially since simple screen recording software can pretty much defeat any copy protection.
  9. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

I've watched this movie and I didn't care for it. To me was just something they had to get North Korea involved and push viewers to watch in very high numbers so this poor directed movie would break even in the cost it had taken them to produce it.
  10. Soulburn74

Soulburn74 TS Rookie

Its sad the circumstances in which this came to be. If the Hacking scandle hadn't happened this movie most likely would have been just another abysmal release/failure. But attach some controversy to it, and some people felt the need to do their patriotic duty. It remains to be seen if it was NK or inside job......either way, Sony went for the cash grab when they waved the white flag of freedom of speech......and everyone that felt that patriotic duty fell for it......
  11. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Leaving aside whether or not it is a good movie and whether or not the theater chains were right to pull the movie, the theater chains inadvertently may have demonstrated that you can bypass them and still make money. Granted, this movie has not yet broken even but will this lead to some future movie, a better movie, giving it a go? Maybe not, but who knows?
  12. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,527   +688

The new Sony Business Model? Get hacked, get sacked, get POTUS bitched, then get rich? Works for me!
  13. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,603   +411

I read somewhere that it cost $80 million to make and promote the movie. Sony has a long way to go.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  14. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 289   +55

C+ movie