The Interview grosses $15 million in online sales in just 4 days

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Apparently, the gamble Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) took by releasing The Interview online has paid off, as the company has revealed that the film, which was made at a budget of $44 million, grossed over $15 million in online sales through the first four days of the holiday weekend. Put another way this is now the studio's "number 1 online film of all time."

This is in addition to the estimated $2.8 million the movie earned from its limited theatrical release -- it was released in just 331 theaters across the US.

"Through Saturday, December 27, including all of its online distribution platforms, The Interview has been rented or purchased online more than 2 million times," Sony Pictures said in a statement.

The movie was released online on Christmas eve via YouTube, Google Play, Xbox Video, and a dedicated website -- https://www.seetheinterview.com/. Yesterday, Apple also made the film available on its iTunes store at the same prices -- $5.99 to rent for 48 hours and $14.99 to purchase.

The Interview has been at the center of a well publicized controversy apparently because it depicts the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Earlier, Sony canceled the release of the Rogen / Franco comedy after the country’s top five theater chains decided not to play the film due to the hackers' threat of attacking movie theaters showing it.

After being widely criticized for what many saw as bowing down to the hackers as well as North Korea, Sony backpedaled on its decision, announcing that the movie will make it to theaters on Christmas Day after all.

Permalink to story.

Watched this movie at a friends place the other day, lets just say, illicit substances were consumed and without them the movie likely would not have been very enjoyable. Lot's of immature comedy, too many dated LoTR references, like seriously it's not the year 2001 enough with the lame references, perhaps it was to insinuate the lack of intelligence of James Franco's character, but you can't help but get that impression the whole movie. Diana Bang did a good job with her part, probably the best character in the movie, the scene towards the end when she has the machine gun, priceless look on her face. I feel a lot of the controversy could have been avoided had they not used Kim Jong-un's name in the movie, this type of movie would not of suffered.

I am ashamed to say I liked the movie much more than I should have. I would be OK with James Franco playing David Skylark for the rest of his career...
AMEN! Me and my friends loved it! I mean it isn't by any means the funniest movie I have seen, but I don't get how some people can't get the comedy in it.

James and Seth carried the movie. And that wasn't a bad thing.

Congrats to sony for the successful marketing campain... looking forward for their next movie... should be about sheep or something... maaa

"Congrats to sony for the successful marketing campain... looking forward for their next movie... should be about sheep or something... maaa"

People know what trolling is now. Try to seem more serious

Back