The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus get the iFixit teardown treatment

Scorpus

Staff member

Just hours after going on sale to the general public, iFixit has managed to get both new iPhone models in their hands to perform their signature teardowns. As these in-depth articles usually do, several parts of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus hardware have now been revealed.

Starting with the smaller iPhone 6, iFixit has revealed that it's packing a 1,810 mAh (3.82 V, 6.91 Wh) lithium-ion polymer battery, which is 16% larger than the iPhone 5s' 1,560 mAh unit. With a display that's 38% larger, Apple is betting on energy efficiency improvements elsewhere to keep the iPhone 6 lasting as long as its predecessor.

Also revealed as part of the teardown is 1 GB of LPDDR3 RAM, a Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE modem to accompany the Apple A8 SoC, and a simpler internal design overall that assists with repairs.

iphone ifixit apple ios smartphone iphone 6 iphone 6 plus

Inside the iPhone 6 Plus is a much larger 2,915 mAh (3.82 V, 11.1 Wh) battery, which contributes to the handset having better battery life than its smaller brother. The same 1 GB of RAM is found inside, as is the Qualcomm LTE modem and Apple A8 SoC. iFixit also managed to take apart the camera unit, revealing the small electromagnetic coils that provide optical image stabilization.

If you want to get a closer look at the hardware of the latest iPhones, head over to iFixit's teardowns for the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus.

Permalink to story.

So, battling against 1440P phones, for 2015 we have iPhone 6 with 1GB of RAM that costs just,... oh wait, 999 euro? That's $1286. Very tempting... (sarcasm intended).

In fairness, I don't think it needs that, considering that Object C apps on iOS eat a lot less than Java on Android, but the thing is, it would cost Apple almost nothing to put 4GB in there, and considering the price they increased once again, there can be no excuses. Also, more and more apps are used via browser, which does require more RAM.

I'm still using iPhone 5, and was really hoping for a battery improvement to justify an upgrade, but it didn't happen. iPhone 6 4.7" won't play any longer than iPhone 5. That's just too bad, considering it's 2 generations after iPhone 5. And I don't really like the bigger iPhone 6 Plus, it's ridiculously big, with design behind both Note 4 and LG 3. In fact, LG G3 is a whole 1cm shorter than iPhone 6 while also having 5.5" screen...
LG_G3-iPhone6-vergelijking.png

I reckon that iPhone 6 Plus will last the longest when it comes to the battery life, but it's just one ugly design, with thicker borders and much wider footer and header than the competition. It's just too freaking large, that's all it bloody is...

...with all the evidence right in front of you ;)

Last edited:
People are overpaying for these devices with the high end specs. How fast do you really need to open something? I have a One Plus, and a Huawei Ascend Mate2. In pure "benchmarks" the OnePlus blows the Mate2 out of the water, but, in real world usage, I do not see any benefit of the faster over the so called slower. People are wasting money. I see it all the time on different websites. "I'm getting the iPhone6 to replace my iPhone5....I'm getting the Note4 to replace my Note3. WHY? Just so you can have something newer? Extending your (overpriced) contract? This self absorbed, narcissistic world we live in will be the death of the human race.

...This self absorbed, narcissistic world we live in will be the death of the human race.

True, but let's just wait a little more, till iPhone 7 comes out, and if it still the same crap, then life is totally pointless and then I will concur, let's nuke'em all, and the hell with the world!

Using this guide, can we replace iPhone 6's body with iPhone 5s' body? I reeeaaaallllyy hoping it... (gosh, I can't stand with that new hideous design)

Apple love sheep. They can shear them so often, at least every 9 months.
Apple is a fine target, especially on a site with a very anti-apple mindset. However, what you are bitching about is also happening in the android world, just from a different angle. Service providers don't (as a whole or regularly) update to the newest android OS, so in effect, you get the same result, you have to upgrade your phone for the latest and greatest. Apple at least supports their old hardware for many years. The 4s came out in October 2011, and its still supported by iOS 8.

Back