The Linux command line and Bash shell is coming to Windows 10

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft is committed to making the Windows developer experience better than ever, which is why they're bringing the popular Bash shell, alongside the entire Linux command environment, to Windows 10 in the upcoming Anniversary Update.

Developers have been able to use Linux command shells like Bash for years through third-party tools, but this is the first time that Microsoft has actually implemented the functionality directly into Windows. The company partnered with Canonical, known for the Linux distribution Ubuntu, to ensure the Bash experience is just as good in Windows as it is in variants of Linux.

During Microsoft's Build 2016 keynote, it was revealed that developers will be able to download the Linux command line from the Windows Store when the Anniversary Update becomes available. Microsoft's Kevin Gallo stated during the event that "this is not a VM" or "cross-compiled tools" but a fully-fledged Linux shell running in Windows.

Ars Technica believes that the way Microsoft has implemented this functionality could allow developers to natively run Linux programs on Windows without any major modifications. This, along with tools like the Bash shell, could really entice developers more comfortable with a Linux environment to develop on Windows 10.

When Microsoft announced that the Bash shell would be coming to Windows, the news received a huge round of applause from the Build 2016 crowd. Microsoft are definitely listening to what developers want, and this is a great step towards making Windows a more friendly development environment.

Permalink to story.

Woot, I might actually learn what I need in order to start using Linux. I can't believe MS would promote migrating away from their environment.

I don't mean to bash it, but anybody who cares runs a proper VM.

I don't think a castrated version of Linux will attract much attention.

Like it's said on the news, they partnered with canonical... if you don't trust microsoft at least know they won't give their arm to bend.

Woot too, I've always liked the idea that you can do everything in linux without getting to a UI and scripting your way around, it's true powershell gives you a similar function but not quite.

Woot, I might actually learn what I need in order to start using Linux. I can't believe MS would promote migrating away from their environment.
actually it's the other way around. it's their way of making Linux developers move towards windows. you won't have to install any VMs or dual boot Linux. most people have to learn BASH when working with servers.

I wonder if it will just be an officially endorsed version of Cygwin (like Babun) or if it's a new incarnation of Interix/SFU.

Mmm yes it's a very interesting move. They say they want to make their dev tools the go-to. VS for Linux dev environment, C# for cross platform dev etc etc.

Bold strategy but open sourcing the framework was a great first step and this is another really interesting new direction for them.

Aren't you cool with the pun? VM's = additional hardware resource consumption. This is a native Ubuntu Linux shell running on Windows 10. You literally open a command prompt, type bash, press enter and you're in a Linux shell.

I've always used the Cygwin emulator (not a VM) and it allows me to develop (code, compile, test) webserver products.

LOL. Can't please everyone. This has a very specific target audience and I, for one, am incredibly excited by this news.

Back