The long road to Yukon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
For months, Microsoft watchers have voiced concerns that delays in the company's introduction of its Yukon database software could derail other products, including a new version of Windows, code-named Longhorn.

Microsoft is trying to clarify its plans for new storage technology, the core of many of its future products. If the company stumbles with Yukon--essentially, the technology's proof-of-concept--then Microsoft's product plans and revenue projections could be affected.

Read more: CNet News.

This could be devastating to M$ if things slow down or fall through. Especially since it is something they have been working on for years and years. I think they will pull it through and get it delivered as expected. At least I hope so, because it is a big part of Longhorn, and I can't wait for that to come out.

I don't really see any problems, MS has already said that Longhorn will ship when it is done(refusing to set a projected release date) with that in mind, a delay in Yukon isn't really doing anything except making the "MS Watchers" nervous. Another reason I don't see any reason to worry is; it isn't like MS has a long history of keeping to a schedule.

Delays don't matter too much as long as the final product is secure and relatively bug free. Better being late than early and having to release lots of patches. Microsoft is taking security very seriously now, so I'm sure they are doing their best to get things right. All this new technology will set the foundation for Microsoft products for years to come, so they are making sure they don't screw up.

I think Yukon will end up being fixed and implemented into Longhorn, so long as they ensure that Longhorn doesn't have a specific shipment date.

I don't see how the delay could affect anything unless Microsoft was getting ready to launch before they can fix whatever they are having problems with; that said, it's pretty clear they are not.

MS needs to work out all the bugs and not ship a product that is in Beta form as so many comapnies now do. Any wait for a final product is worth it.

Originally posted by p05ta1
MS needs to work out all the bugs and not ship a product that is in Beta form as so many comapnies now do. Any wait for a final product is worth it.

I take it you're a Daikatana fan? :D

Just kidding. I agree with you.

Its not going to hurt microsoft any. As I said in another post in another thread - Microsoft has such a dominate market share with their OSes that there is no way big corporations or even little ones for that matter are going to switch to some flavor of Linux before Longhorn in 2006-2007 (adding a year because of this Yukon thing). No reason to switch between now and then when most compaines are not even running WindowsXP yet.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Its not going to hurt microsoft any. As I said in another post in another thread - Microsoft has such a dominate market share with their OSes that there is no way big corporations or even little ones for that matter are going to switch to some flavor of Linux before Longhorn in 2006-2007 (adding a year because of this Yukon thing). No reason to switch between now and then when most compaines are not even running WindowsXP yet.

A lot more people in the professional sector ( especially public one ) are migrating to Linux. In the professional market, MS doesn't have the same stronghold it does in the home department.

But the larger segment is the US Government and other corporate environments where people use computers primarly for communication and secondary for anything else. Nearly all of those run a Windows based OS.

Originally posted by p05ta1
agreed, get it right, and get it right the first time. i don't want to wait for two SP releases to get a stable program.

Yeah, i think MS should learn that releasing product with not ready to be released is totally wrong, we need stable OS with without SP installled, off course i understand it is very hard to do and almost impossible but who knows? At least MS should release OS without many critical error.

Originally posted by UncleGemboel
Yeah, i think MS should learn that releasing product with not ready to be released is totally wrong, we need stable OS with without SP installled, off course i understand it is very hard to do and almost impossible but who knows? At least MS should release OS without many critical error.

I think thats what they are trying to do by the restructuring of the Windows unit, as was discussed in an earlier thread
That can help a lot in getting out a better quality product.

I also believe that with all the recent talk about security, MS is going to extra lengths to ensure that Yukon, Longhorn and Kodiak work together with minimal security issues to have to patch later.

What is Yukon actually? I know its software but thats a little broad. Hopefully they will as you said SB, take more time to fix up a lot of security probs in Longhorn :)

From the article,
Yukon, an update to Microsoft's SQL Server database, will usher in the storage concept...Microsoft said the storage technology helps to blur differences between data types and will make it far easier for people to search for and find documents, e-mail messages and multimedia files scattered across their hard disks and on networked computers...Early speculation was that Longhorn's new file system, called WinFS, would actually include a copy of the SQL Server database engine..."I think a lot of people have the impression that Yukon is buried in WinFS, and Microsoft is starting to take pains to remove that impression from people's minds," Alliegro said.
In other words, an update to SQL Server. Hope that helps cuz it's sort of confusing with the wide application of the product.

Think of the search capabilites as a mini Active Directory. Potentially, much easier to find stored info. Looks good on paper, but I've yet to see it's full potential. We're in the middle of AD rollout at work and I've not seen a lot of hope yet.....just makes things a little more centrally located. On the flip side, I'm not one to trust putting all one's eggs in one basket either.:eek:

The idea is to get everything on a database type of system. we have already seen this with many other apps and with webpages, its just the next step to impliment it in Windows OS as well. It "should" make things better, but we'll just have to wait and see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back