TechSpot

The message is: STOP:0x00000001A

By Sermaikai
Apr 17, 2007
  1. I'm new here and wanted to say hello, but obviously I have a problem(s) and would like advice. Here is what happens to my computer. Actually it is my husband and daughters. They will turn it on and log in. Some times there are error messages about new hardware not found (CD ROM) but we haven't tried to install anything. Then other times it will just stop responding, or explorer will send an error message. Then other times, it will just shut off.The other thing it does is a big blue screen will come on it and will say windows is shutting down. Something about a physical memory dump. The message is: STOP:0x00000001A. I've done a search on the internet about the message and since I'm not too computer literate, not sure how to handle it. I've gone through and deleted so many things from it that I had used when it had been mine and emptied the recycle bin,defragged, the whole nine yards.And as fate would have it, our service plan expired in January. So..... anyone have any advice? I know it's a lot. But every little piece of advice is welcomed. Thank you so much.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

We would appreciate your telling us the brand, model, and configuration. You also let us know what antivirus and antispyware you have installed... as well as the firewall you use.
    However, your problem might be resolved by running a memory test for four hours. You can find an excellent free memory test at www.memorytest.org.
    Then if the memory tests out properly, we can explore other problems.
    At this point, there is no way to guess whether your computer's problem is caused by a virus, malware, or other software problem, or if it is a failed component such as a defective or corrupt hard drive, bad memory module, cpu fan or other cooling problem, video graphics card, or other PCI device.
    It is possible that the defective optical drive is contributing to this blue screen.
    Whatever it is, the problem is likely fixable.

3. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

Hello: you sound eager but also sound like you don't have a lot of experience trouble shooting.

So:

send a pm to Howard_Hopkins0 about this -he'll try to help :)

OOPS!! Raybay has the ball - I am outa here.

4. Sermaikai

Sermaikai TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you both very much. Maybe I am a little too eager and should just chuck the whole thing out the window. LOL. It's over 4 years old anyway.
    It is an emachine and the OS is Windows XP,which my brother put on years ago. Aren't they pretty much obsolete after a few years anyway? This time MY new computer is an HP. I will find the rest of the needed info later and post, but do appreciate the replies so far. Thanks so much.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.