The monitor wont work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyp

Okey my problem is that when i try to start my computer the monitor wont start, it stays black and nothing happens.
I have tried with another monitor but the same problem there, and when i tried my monitor on my laptop it worked in the beginning so it should be something with the hardware.
Everything is brand new except for the RAM.
I hade exactly the same problem with my other older computer but i had several problems with that computer, but i say again, The CPU, GPU, PSU and the motherboard are all brand new.
I really hope someone can help me now cause it's really important that i have a working computer.

It would help if you told us what your hardware is. if your mobo hasonboard raphics make sure that the onboard graphics are disabled since you are using a video card.

okey my specs is:
MoBo: Abit KN8-Ultra,nForce4 Ultra,Socket-939
GPU: PowerColor Radeon X800GT 256MB GDDR3
PSU: NorthQ Nätaggregat 4001AT ATX 400W
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz Socket 939

Are you JUST putting this system together? Has it EVER worked?

We really need you to give us all the details. As we can not physically look at your computer, we don't know what you know.

Specifically, what happens when you hit the power button? Do you hear ANYTHING? Beeping? Fans in the case turning on? Keyboard lights turning on? Monitor light?

All the details please.

Okey sorry for not giving all the details from the beginning.

I have this older computer, it had all the possible problems.
I decided to clean up that computer erase all the HDD and reinstall the windows, it was by far a big mistake for me, when i hade done everything and i was ready to boot up the computer i had some trouble installing a new OS to the HDD.

I let the computer rest over the night and the day after work i thought i would give it a try, i pushed the power-button... what happens? The computer turns on but the monitor remains dead.

After some days trying i thought that i needed to upgrade the computer anyway so i ordered some parts, almost a whole computer.
I got the package and i start to put it all together, the only problem i have had before with this kind of things is the led/pwr button pins that you stick into the MoBo so that the power button and those things works.
But this time it wasn't that hard, i could read easily on the MoBo where which pins goes where.

Now i hade mounted everything together and i was excited, i put all the cables in and pushed the power button, i saw a strong red light coming from a LED, think it is the 5VSB led that is red. It was also a loud beep, i turned the computer off and checked. I think it was that i had forgoten about the 4-pin cable that i had to put in the MoBo and then i tried again, same thing but no sound, and the monitor has stayed the same all the time...

Hope this is enough, i think this is all that i know. And as said, all the things i use now is new, except the memory but it's still the same problem as with my old system.

And oh yeah about what things that starts to work.. all the fans and such is working as intended, the monitor light is just blinking as it does when i don't have a computer on.

Hyp said:
Now i hade mounted everything together and i was excited, i put all the cables in and pushed the power button, i saw a strong red light coming from a LED, think it is the 5VSB led that is red. It was also a loud beep, i turned the computer off and checked. I think it was that i had forgoten about the 4-pin cable that i had to put in the MoBo and then i tried again, same thing but no sound, and the monitor has stayed the same all the time...

I believe that the 5VSB light SHOULD be red when you plug in the power to the motherboard. However it SHOULD turn green when you turn the power on. Can you confirm this?

Also, when you power up, are you getting ONE loud beep and no other? This is a good sign if so. It means that your ram is passing the basic memory test.

If the motherboard light IS turning green when you power on, and you are only getting ONE beep when you power on, then the next thing I would confirm is, do you have a 4pin power connector going from your PSU directly to your graphics card?

By the way, if your led is red AFTER you try and power up your system, double check that you have both the 24pin power connector AND the 4pin as well.

Also, what speed is that ram you are trying to use?

PC3200?

How many sticks, and are they all the same size, speed?

The 5VSB LED is red from the beginning before i even start the computer, but when i have started the computer the other LED right next to 5VSB lights up and it's green, i believe it is the VCC LED. But the red light never stops.
And about the beep, right now there is no beep as i can hear, nothing, nada.

About the graphics card i have no where to put a 4 pin connector on it, i do however have a 4 pin socket on the MoBo that i use.

I have checket every power connector from the PSU and i have plugged it all in, the 20-pin, the 4-pin one that i use because i need a 24-pin. Another 4-pin that i use near the CPU fan, the CPU fan wont start without this one. and finally a power connector (like the ones you use in HD, cd-player etc..) on MoBo that helps powering up the PCI-E and those kind of things.

My RAM is a pair of PC3200 400MHz 184-pin 512 MB Corsair Value Select

My monitor is currently switched on even when i'm not using it. So when it just stands there and i only got the power cable plugged in the green LED on the frontside of the monitor is blinking, and when i have plugged in the cable to the GPU and booting the computer... Nothing happens, the green LED on the monitor is still blinking.

Hope this gives you some clarification.

Try using only one stick of memory,I had a similar problem where my s939 board wouldn't boot with both sticks.Your video card doesn't need an external power supply,that's what DonNagual was asking.Also,has your monitor led always blinked when it's not getting a signal.

Okey, i tried to only use one stick of memory but it didn't change anything.

Yeah my monitor signal has always been blinking like that.

Yup

Hyp said:
Okey my problem is that when i try to start my computer the monitor wont start, it stays black and nothing happens.
I have tried with another monitor but the same problem there, and when i tried my monitor on my laptop it worked in the beginning so it should be something with the hardware.
Everything is brand new except for the RAM.
I hade exactly the same problem with my other older computer but i had several problems with that computer, but i say again, The CPU, GPU, PSU and the motherboard are all brand new.
I really hope someone can help me now cause it's really important that i have a working computer.

Hi, I came here looking for an answer to the exact same problem which I'm having. Usually, when I start the computer...it beeps, and the monitor de-statics and turns on. But, not only does the computer not beep, but the monitor's green LED continues to just blink, rather than stop blinking, and turn on. The fans all work, and the wires are all plugged in, but its very odd. It's odd because a week and a half ago my brother came and fixed this problem(he's a computer technician) in about 30 seconds. He said it had something to do with the CMOS battery. All he did was take it out, and put it back in...and it worked. But the next time, same problem. So we just replaced the battery. It worked until yesterday, when, it stopped working yet again. So I took out the CMOS battery, and put it back in...still wont work??? I know how to re-configure all the BIOS settings after(and if you dont, dont even think about taking out that battery before saving the settings). Does anybody know what could be wrong. When I talked to my brother on the phone, he said it could mbe my video card, a GeForce 3(which I want to burn). Anyways, hope that info with the battery helps you out, otherwise you a I are going to be here a while Hyp.

[Edit] I'll post an answer once my brother fixes this.

Maker sure you didn't fry and thing while installing your hardware into your mobo. I had this same problem with my new build. When install hardware, if you take it out of the Anti-static bag, place on the products box. You should place on anything that can generate static. Also, make sure you put riser underneth your mobo. If your mobo touches the back of the case, if may get fried as is the back of the case is metal.

try the ram just had a similar prob couldnt get the monitor to show nothing tried another and that was the same

tried the ram in another dimm slot and it worked was a fault on the board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back