The Moto G and Moto G Plus are coming to the US next month

Jos

Staff

The Moto G has remained a favorite among budget buyers, combining high-end performance and features with great build quality and a wallet-friendly price. Last month the company released not one but three different models as part of its fourth generation Moto G lineup, but initially the phones were made available only in India and Brazil.

Now the company has announced that the Moto G4 and G4 Plus will be available in the U.S. starting on July 12 for $199 and $249, respectively. The devices will be sold unlocked through major retailers including Best Buy, Amazon, and Walmart.

On the outside the Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus look mostly the same, with a rounded metal frame and rubber back cover for a nice grip. Spec-wise they share some similarities too, both including a 5.5-inch full HD TFT display coated in Gorilla Glass 3, 3000mAh battery, 5MP front facing camera and Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 processor.

But the Moto G Plus does offer a few extra perks. While the standard Moto G has a 13-megapixel camera, the Plus bumps that up to 16 megapixels and adds a laser-enabled autofocus for faster focusing. It’s also equipped with a fingerprint scanner on the front.

Storage options go from 16GB to 32GB with 2GB of RAM on the Moto G and from 16GB to 64GB with 2GB or 4GB of RAM on the Moto G Plus.

Motorola also shared an infographic about unlocked phones conducted among U.S. smartphone users, revealing some common misconceptions (23% think an unlocked phone is one that does not require a password to open) and highlighting the benefits of buying an unlocked phone -- not tied to a carrier, no contracts, can be used when traveling abroad.

Permalink to story.

Why even bother with budget phones when 2 y/o flagships with better specs can be had for less? The Moto X 2nd gen can be had for around $100 and that includes an AMOLED 2k screen, 21 MP camera, and a whole bunch more. A TFT screen is a joke.

Why even bother with budget phones when 2 y/o flagships with better specs can be had for less? The Moto X 2nd gen can be had for around $100 and that includes an AMOLED 2k screen, 21 MP camera, and a whole bunch more. A TFT screen is a joke.
And is that a new phone? I doubt anyone is selling a 2nd gen moto x brand new with warranty for $100.

Where can you find a new moto X 2nd gen for that price? Interested.

One issue with an 'old' phone is support. It seems most companies consider anything much over a year or so old to be unsupported, leaving you vulnerable to security hacks.

One issue with an 'old' phone is support. It seems most companies consider anything much over a year or so old to be unsupported, leaving you vulnerable to security hacks.

Some phones have pretty good support from the community over at XDA. Plenty of phones being sold on Swappa can run Marshmallow thanks to community support. I have found used Moto phones (non-Droid branded) are a safe choice when looking for something that can run Marshmallow with little to no issues, even when the OEM has already given up on it. Now I understand this route isn't for everyone. However, I was able to upgrade several family members to Marshmallow because of used phones. I've purchased 4 used Moto X 2014s for that very reason. CyanogenMod 13 is very user friendly as it hides advanced features until you enable them (e.g. root access).

And is that a new phone? I doubt anyone is selling a 2nd gen moto x brand new with warranty for $100.

Does the warranty really matter? You can buy a whole new phone if the one you bought breaks and it would still be cheaper. Heck you can take the broken phone and sell it on ebay for a decent price. How often do phones break that isn't the result of user negligence? Which by the way isn't covered by a warranty and you would most likely be waiting at least a month for a new phone plus be out shipping.

I have a Moto X 2nd Gen and the Moto X plus has me interested, it has better specs in some aspects, the thing that worries me it's the processor, I don't know how it fares against the one I have.

$250? That a lot to pay for a recently released 'budget' phone considering we can get the Galaxy S6 over here for 100 Benjamins more. I rather take that deal.

Why even bother with budget phones when 2 y/o flagships with better specs can be had for less?
Sure, screens might not be top-notch, scratched and what not, batteries are not on the same level, old hardware even though it is very similar to new one in clocks, uses more energy so battery life is not the same either. Also, most users who want something good new and awesome price, it's the way to go.
Anyone who is looking for flagships or tech enthusiast won't be buying a 2 year old phone.

The Moto X 2nd gen can be had for around $100 and that includes an AMOLED 2k screen, 21 MP camera, and a whole bunch more.
Why do you love making crap up for the sake of justifying yourself??

A TFT screen is a joke.
Maybe older ones like you would find in 2 year old phone, newer ones have better technology.

$250? That a lot to pay for a recently released 'budget' phone considering we can get the Galaxy S6 over here for 100 Benjamins more. I rather take that deal.
Considering no other "budget" phone comes with this specs -unless it's a Chinese brand- I think it's awesome. Is the S6 unlocked? If it is it's a great purchase.

Sure, screens might not be top-notch, scratched and what not, batteries are not on the same level, old hardware even though it is very similar to new one in clocks, uses more energy so battery life is not the same either. Also, most users who want something good new and awesome price, it's the way to go.
Anyone who is looking for flagships or tech enthusiast won't be buying a 2 year old phone.

Why do you love making crap up for the sake of justifying yourself??

Maybe older ones like you would find in 2 year old phone, newer ones have better technology.

Considering no other "budget" phone comes with this specs -unless it's a Chinese brand- I think it's awesome. Is the S6 unlocked? If it is it's a great purchase.
Unlocked and carrier free. That's the only way to buy phones as far as I'm concerned.

Got my cheepie Moto phone through Consumer Celular three years ago and it's still going strong, but I may take a look at the new one just for giggles and grins. That 16 MP camera with the auto focus will certainly come in handy at the beach with all those bikini's that I can't see with these dreaded bifocals!!!!!

Back