The Mystery of One Software CD That Wont Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsand209

For some reason, my cd/dvd player has stopped working. Now my dvd player had always been finicky about which things it liked it play--after several years i found the need to reinstall windows, and then i installed the latest firmware from sony style, and, presto, everything worked fine.

i was able to install adobe creative suite no problem. that was a few months ago. in the meantime, i can tell you that i had a nasty hacktool.rootkit infection--which i seem to have gotten rid of. although i still have some issues (such as my symantec antivirus is running but wont show up in the taskbar, and i don't always get the required pop-ups when putting cds or usb drives in). i've also recently installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled iTunes.

so since i noticed yesterday that out of nowhere my cd/dvd drive wasn't working what so ever, i checked the device manager. no problems. i then uninstalled the hardware, and scanned for hardware changes. that led me to the yellow exclamation point on my cd/dvd drive, and this message:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

I googled this error message and came up with this thread:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35761/
--which says iTunes may have caused it. and it recommends deleting some registry files to resovle it.

So I go open regedit--to:
Hkey Local Machine
System
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318

and look for the upper filters, and lower filters. i only find the lower filters, and delete it. then rebooted. now the drive is listed in device manager and doesn't appear to have issues. in fact it works almost perfectly.

but, the one cd i need, my adobe cs3 application cd, can't be read. i try all other cds, including the ones that came with that--they work. even a scratched up audio cd i bought works (and my application cd doesn't look dirty or scratched, and i cleaned it anyway). i've tried dvds and they work. then i uninstall the player from device manager again, scan for hardware changes, let it reinstall.

but the one cd i need still wont so what could possibly be the issue?

Because the reinstallation of windows a while back assured me it was simply a driver issue the whole time. The disc in question installed just fine.

But now it will not. Hm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back