The NES Classic was my favorite holiday gift, here's what Nintendo could improve in the SNES Classic

This should have been updateable and allowed me to buy whatever NES (licensed) games I wanted to get.

30 games out of a library the size of the NES library is a sick joke.

I should also be able to use my classic NES peripherals (which oddly enough still work, when my PS and Xbox One controllers need replacing more than once a year)

Your better off buying a classic NES or NES 2 console on Ebay. I still have mine and a bunch of games for it.

I bought a Wii and PS3 just so I could play classic games from PS and PS2 days - or classice NES, SNES and TG16 games.

I so miss the days when games were about "gameplay" rather than big budget production and DLC scams.

I wish I could get one. Nintendo did this with the amiibos. They released small stocks where scalpers where buying everyone of them and resell it 2 -3 times the cost.

I didn't know it was a fact that Nintendo purposefully limited the Wii on it's release. I'm checking the stats and they sold 3.19 world wide in the first month. 20 million the first year. The system was insanely popular.

I bought a Wii and PS3 just so I could play classic games from PS and PS2 days - or classice NES, SNES and TG16 games.

I so miss the days when games were about "gameplay" rather than big budget production and DLC scams.

I missed the good old days when people actually focused on playing the games instead of today's gamers with their never ending debate of PC vs Console/ Resolution/Framerates..etc

While the mini-console is great, I see no real reason for people to buy it... just get an original NES - I still have mine with over 100 games... they're pretty cheap on the used market if you want them - although the Robotic Operating Buddy (R.O.B.) is almost impossible to find unbroken... but Gyromite isn't really that fun after the novelty wears off anyways :)

Oh... and don't waste your money splurging on the Power Glove - all that does is prove that while Nintendo had the idea for the Wii back in the 80s, they couldn't execute it until the 2000s...

As for a SNES or N64 classic.... Those also work just fine... don't see a need to recycle them...

Shut up and take my money! If there is a Classic Snes that gets released, I'll totally buy it. 90% of my all-time favorite games are on the Snes! Probably my top 3... Chrono Trigger, FF3, E.V.O.

EDIT: But wait, Earthbound is definitely in my top 3 too... somewhere. Oh, and Super Mario RPG is too. But those are my top 3 (or 5 lol)

Last edited:
Nintendo should make wireless controllers for the remake systems, and all systems should be Miracast capable and have WiFi. They missed the opportunity to include some of this in the NES classic, but they could create a hub that adds all the wireless abilities at a cost, including a store. I agree that Nintendo will likely charge way too much per classic title, but I think they should take the subscription model and offer all the games in their library for a monthly fee, in addition to selling just individual games. Choice and accessories are the key to making something like this bigger than it was meant to be. Classic consoles with modern conveniences. I also agree that online multi-player should stay off. I prefer the games play and navigate as original. Adding online multi-player would require modification and add frustration as well as ruin the nostalgia.

Totally agree with you there, I miss those days too. I thought I was the only one who shared those feelings. >W<

I guarantee you 100% that Nintendo purposefully limited the stocks of this console. If you look at how successful and how well-known the original NES was when it launched in the 80's, and the older casual market that exists today, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that millions of older gamers would love to get their hands on an NES classic.

First of all, the NES Classic is very accessible to casual gamers who enjoyed the original. The controller is literally identical and would make, say, a 35-40 year old man feel super nostalgic. And he'd know exactly how to use it. Plus, the fact that the controller is an exact replica of the original, made BY Nintendo themselves (so does that even count as a replica if the same company made the replica?) is extremely appealing to collectors.

Secondly, Nintendo's relationship with consumers is mediocre at best, so they don't care much (if at all) about people being frustrated about not getting one. What matters to Nintendo is that they produced a certain number of these things, and every single one of them sold. Nintendo made all their money back from sold units. There’s a couple reasons why I say Nintendo doesn’t care for consumers:

1) They shoot down all fan-games and YouTube videos with DCMA's, even for heartfelt projects that were made for no profit, but rather for sheer love towards the Nintendo brand and it’s IP's. I read tragic articles about this sort of thing every time a developer or an artist does something Nintendo related, and it’s very coldhearted of them.
2) Nintendo never follows traditional rules of the game industry with their console releases. They never care to use next-gen specs, and that alienates third party developers from wanting to utilize Nintendo’s platforms. This also creates a domino effect back to the consumer – they can’t get any AAA titles on the console, so it refers most people from buying a Nintendo console. (This rule doesn’t actually apply to me personally, because I could give two iota’s less about 4K graphics and Call of Duty and all that nonsense. Give me games with fun addictive gameplay like we had in the 90’s. XD)

So getting to my final point, Nintendo knew that they would boost their popularity by creating a miniature NES that was limited in quantity, and they needed a spark like that to boost their popularity, especially after coming off of the Wii U. Again, this was a tactic to help the company itself, and not necessarily to please as many consumers as possible.

To conclude, I frankly have a love/hate relationship with Nintendo. They make AMAZING products, whether it’s their games or a console. What I hate about them though are their business practices. And it sucks to have to say that about a company that makes probably THE best games of the modern generations.

I guarantee you 100% that Nintendo purposefully limited the stocks of this console.

That makes no sense though, why would a company that wants to sell something severely limit the supply. Especially during the holiday season? I've heard people say it's to drive up demand but that does no good at all if people can't buy your product. They could have sold thousands more if they'd had them available so they ended up losing a lot of sales. I believe the real reason is they genuinely had no idea how popular it would be and simply didn't make enough of them to meet the demand. It was still a stupid mistake on their part but I don't think there was any nefarious plan behind it all.

Nintendo definitely limited stock. It's a classic Nintendo move - they were in such short supply that it's the only possible explanation. No organization that large and with that much experience would be that short on release day. It just doesn't happen. It was deliberate.

So much about the NES Mini can and should have been different. But again, it's classic Nintendo. They always, always give you almost / basically what you want, but without features that become obvious to almost everyone as soon as the product is out the door. For such a historic and well-loved company, their business practices are honestly not that stellar.

Either go all out on the SNES in terms of options, an eshop, a controller with a normal length, and NOT artificially limiting stock, and I'll think about it. Until then I'll just stick with snes9x.

The nes classic is a great gift for those non tech-savvy people, I imagine myself gifting this to my grandma who loved playing the classic Mario. The wii on the other hand as already stated, is super cheap and you can get the games out from the virtual store, I do not know how much they are and I would definitely prefer playing on the wireless wii mote. Yet for someone who is not that knowledgeable it might present a bit of added complexity.

If there is a snes like version, I think it will make a big hit the same way as the nes.

Back