The Netherlands becomes first in Europe to pass net neutrality law

By Leeky
May 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The Netherlands has become the first EU member country to pass into law new net neutrality regulations, following in the footsteps of Chile, which became the first country in the...

Read the whole story
  2. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Leeky great article!! Now if there was some way the rest of the world could pass these net neutrality laws!! Im all for cellphone and ISP getting their FAIR share of profits. This law, at least on the surface, looks like it could stiffle all that throtling that they are known for. And maybe give the consumer a better web experience w/o having to worry about how much time it will take to download any particular file.
  3. *applauding*
  4. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,568   +47

Yeah, good for the Dutch.

The day it passes in the UK will probably be the day pigs start to fly...but, we can still hope.
  5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,988   +66

Hopefully many others will follow in their footsteps ....... okay probably many won't.
  6. Did anyone else see the "Also included in the newly approved law is the requirement for websites to ask internet users for permission to store cookies in their browsers before they can be used", because as a web developer this is a very dumb clause. It would be super annoying to users to have to ask each user for approval for both my coding and for the users. Cookies are used for everything from keeping your session on facebook open to storing items in Shopping carts on the web. You can also use them to store user preferences,etc, etc. I feel like a more reasonable method for the EU to use would be a cross browser do not track setting that all websites would be required to obey by law with some sort of punishment for not complying with. Because this won't work for me. Just my 0.02$.
  7. Wow, talk about a huge crime against the Dutch.
  8. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,062   +69

Please explain how the passing of net neutrality laws are a crime against the Dutch?
  9. The law must be clear and final, to never allow censorship and privacy up to the ISP. Censorship and Privacy should be up to the user. Also no loop holes to limit the customer for choosing Censorship or Privacy. Another note would be pricing. The pricing should be fair to the user and ISP, inflation is never a good practice. Internet cost for the isp and users requirements needs to be fair. These cost should remain low which will grow internet business and bring plenty of revenues to each country. ISP's gouging prices are not practical. Flat rates should be provided at a reasonable rate. Innovation will only be hindered with exceeding internet prices, censorship and lack of privacy. Government/ Corporation snooping is a violation of freedom for all and is at a cost that no country should allow, the end cost is horrendous. Remember always be alert when laws have names that sound good, usually they define the opposite.
  10. I may be one of the few, but I would love it if countries all throttled torrents.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.