The new $350 real-life Pip-Boy connects to a mobile device so it can make calls and receive texts

midian182

Staff member

While the limited edition, real-life Pip-Boy from Fallout 4 that was released last year proved incredibly popular, it was still just a shell that you plugged your smartphone into – often with some difficulty. But now, Bethesda has partnered with ThinkGeek to produce a new version that looks to be a massive improvement over its predecessor.

The Pip-Boy Delux Bluetooth Edition, which is also available in limited quantities, has "an integrated screen and its own on-board software and hardware." The major advantage this Pip-Boy has over the previous version is its ability to connect to a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth.

The Model 3000 Mk IV replica, the same kind that the player wears in the game, is still in the prototype stage, but ThinkGeek says the final version will be exactly the same as the one in the photos.

When connected to an external device, the two-pound Pip-Boy can place and receive calls, access contacts, receive text messages, show caller ID, and stream audio files. There’s also a non-connected “cosplay mode” that displays the Status, Special, and Perks screens from the game. It can also be used as an alarm clock when not connected to an external device.

Sadly, the Pip-Boy doesn’t interface with Fallout 4 in any way, so there’s no controlling game actions with it. But “most” of the dials, buttons and knobs work, and the top compartment even stores a holotape that’s actually a USB drive.

On top of all that, there are stereo speakers in both the Pip-Boy and its charging stand. At $349.99 it’s not cheap, but there will only be 5000 available for sale, so expect them to sell out quickly.

More details such as drive capacity, battery life, and screen resolution will be revealed at a later date. The Pip-Boy Delux Bluetooth Edition is available to pre-order now and will release in November.

Permalink to story.

Some weathering would make this look so much better and far less like a fisher-price toy. Saying that though, do want...

So, I'm supposed to buy something that is 5x the size of my smart phone and does half the functions? Yeah, somebody will be dumb enough to bite!

Its a cool idea for fans... I don't really like the Fallout games but I can see the novelty in this.

I think there should be a discount for the full amount of the first Pip-Boy for people that wasted their money. It's like Bethesda is saying with the new release Thanks a lot suckers. You paid 100 pounds for a glorified piece of chinese plastic crap. But hey...it's like people are brainwashed with terms like sandbox...

So instead of a pipboy that WAS a phone because you put your phone in it and so could actually send and recieve calls texts and do whatever whilst also having connectivity with the game itself, you can pay more for a version that can't interface with the game but can do the call/texting stuff IF you have it constantly connected to your phone via bluetooth. And this is an upgrade?

Also, Fallout 4 is still crap.

Back