TechSpot

The new AMD Sempron processor

By Eric Legge
Jun 8, 2004
  1. AMD says that for desktop and notebook computing, its 64-bit Athlon 64 and 64 FX processors fill the top range, with the Athlon XP and Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M 32-bit chips filling the middle range.

The new Sempron range of processors are intended to compete with Intel's 'value' Celeron range at the lower end of the market. AMD itself says much about the market for the new processor, but provides little in the way of details.

Apparently, the target customers for the Sempron are "about downloading and playing music, or sending pictures to family and friends." In short, a home user with a broadband connection for whom the computer is more for entertainment than business tasks.

Although AMD remains silent about what the design and features of the Sempron are likely to be, it is almost certainly going to be a 32-bit processor. Reports suggest that it will be available in Socket A, Socket 754, and (the recently announced) Socket 939 versions with dual- channel DDR RAM support. It is also likely to support the NX (no execute) instruction that guards against buffer overflows and other software design flaws which can be exploited by viruses.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~86164,00.html

Eric,
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/

2. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

Sounds like an updated Duron to me......a new name to fill a market niche.

3. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 422

Agreed - thats the first time i thought

It will be interesting to see the benchmarks

Steg

4. Moimit

Moimit TS Rookie Posts: 136

Honestly how bad can they be?. AMD seem to be doing everything right by the books and seem to have thrashed Intel in every aspect. if they are just 2Ghz+ 256k L2 chips they will still be fast enough to ace any Celeron. Benchmarks will see AMD Sempron On Top(just under P4EE). Beware Intel The Sempron is Coming.

5. abc

abc TS Rookie Posts: 52

I think it's great AMD is comming out with an update to the duron line. My mom and sister use an old duron 1.3 with 384MB of pc133 ram and it is pleanty fine for email, office, and anything else they would want a computer for.

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

A 32-bit socket 939 CPU sounds unlikely to me.

This sounds like it will be 64-bit for sure, at least one point during its planned life-cycle.

7. Moimit

a 64 bit version would in turn beat an XP chip.

8. Eric Legge

Eric Legge TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 224

I'm still using a K6-2 500MHz CPU for my Internet PC and its plenty fast enough, so when I upgrade - eventually - a Sempron will be more than adequate.

Eric,
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/

9. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

Probably the new name for the 32bit 754 XP chip in my opinion.

I think I might get Sempron. I think it would be good for downloading certain types of movies :rolleyes: ;)

10. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

pr0n.. haha.

11. Moimit

i think AMD have been using subliminal messaging.

12. Charles Hammond

Charles Hammond TS Rookie Posts: 164

Intel is suppose to be releasing some New Celeron chips with a 533 FSB and 256k of L2 Cache. Be Interesting to see a real comparison.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.