The new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompuGeek247

I just got my asus today and something is wrong. The power supply seems to be giving off some high pictched noise. Even when the computer is off. How do i fix this?

??? You got a new motherboard, and your PSU started making sounds ???

I'm sorry if I sound a bit disbelieving, but this is the first time I've heard about something like this...

Are you sure you connected the powerline to the mobo correctly? (It's really connected, not just halfway in?)

That's the only thing I can come up with off hand, but it seems unlikely...

How old is your PSU? You're sure you haven't done anything wrong when you installed the mobo? (I guess not, as you'd most likely have a smoking (literally) motherboard by now....)

Did you enable any "wake-on" features?
Any hibernation mode?

I may like to regret this, CompuGeek247, but if apart from this you are experiencing to problems, then I think you may be imagining it.

I keep on thinking that I can smell smoke when I sniff near the PSU of my machines - in fact, they even give off a smell that IS a little like burning, even although there is nothing wrong.

Are you sure, also, that the source of the noise isn't in fact something else, like the CPU fan, which may have a little dirt in it, or indeed may even just sound like that, if you have just bought a new fan as well with your new mobo.

Tell us more of the story....

Well I had a headache and it migh have amplified the noise and make anything get on my nerve sorry about this one. But I got an asus a7n8x with a athlon Xp 2700+ but the system says I have a 1500+! How do i correct this?

That PS, especially if it was from your old Celeron system, could be struggling to provide the power needed for the greater current draw of your new system, although I haven't heard any modern switching supplies do that, in the old days the windings of the inductors would physically vibrate at the frequency of the switcher circuit. Now, I'm pretty sure, they switch at frequencies above human hearing range.

It could very well be a result of a CPU, case, or PS fan. Could be, as in the case of the 7000 RPM 60mm delta fans which are notorious for their high pitched whine, normal fan noise or even something else vibrating in your case.

Another thing to check is the variable fan speed setting in the BIOS. I' have that feature turned off but I've seen people complain about it's function in forums, though I didn't pay attention to what their complaints were as I am not using it.

You could try the old auto mechanic trick of the screwdriver butt to the ear with the tip on various (non-conducting) surfaces inside the case to isolate the location of the noise.

On a more serious note, the last time someone posted here that they heard a high ptched noise from their PSU, it turned out to be the hard drive that was making the noise. The PSU was so quiet that other components became easier to hear. Maybe try tracing the noise as suggested by Tarkus just to be certain its coming from the PSU.

Originally posted by CompuGeek247
But I got an asus a7n8x with a athlon Xp 2700+ but the system says I have a 1500+! How do i correct this?

For a XP2700+, in your bios, set your multipliers to 13x and your FSB to 333MHZ. Save and quit the BIOS. That should do the job, bringing the cpu to its original clockspeed.

Oh yea Nic I did but the silent fan turned out to not push enough air through so i had to put the origional fan back in. Anyways I had an exposed wire in the PSU but i covered it up so it wont burn up. That would be bad. But I dont know if a fan could make such a high pitched sound. I was thinking it was electrical and i could change the settings but I dont know how. Its still getting on my nerve this high pitched noise.

Anyways when I go into bios it doesnt have 333 option. I go into advanced chipset features. Is that the right area or the wrong area? Where do I go in the bios to get this feature?

thanks i figured it out. It was in peripherals i set the frequency to 166 mhz and then volts at 1.3 then it turned out to be athlon xp 2700+

remember

you are talking ddr.........a 133 setting is 266, so , 166 is 333.......and in your dram timings , it should be hclk+33....to sync the memory to the bus, with correct cas settings.....and same with agp......make sure it's set to agp to begin with, and, double the ram setting for the amount of ddr you have on your video card for apeture size.....and, enable your features as well.....that's a start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back