The PhysX processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was just wondering what you guys thought of the PhysX processor. i don't know whether i should buy it or not. is there anything i should know before i go ahead and get it or what?

Whilst I like the concept, I'm not sure how much use you'd get out of it right now.

There are games lined up, but none of them are released yet as far as I know. Which means you'll be getting a card which is able to run nice demo's, but that's about it for now.

I'd probably wait until summer, and then see if any of the games you're playing/want to play, are supporting it. If yes, go ahead, if not, wait a bit longer.

But if you got the cash lying around, and don't mind waiting a bit for games to take real advantage of the card, then go ahead get it today. The more people who buy it now, the more developers will see the potential market and utilize it.

Sounds like a good idea, but there is no thread in games (etc). So for now I will let my CPU do all the hard work.

i had never even heard of "the PhysX Processor" until I read this thread, and after googling and reading info on it, I'm still not quite sure what it's does.

As I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong... and I probably am... lol :)), it's basically a second processor to handle the extra work that the CPU cannot handle at one time... so my question is... couldn't a dual core processor do the same thing if the game was written to take advantage of it? (from what I have read, there currently no games written to take advantage of a multi-core CPU)

There is at least 3, Call Of Duty 2, HL2 Lost Coast, and Oblivion.

(Answer to above and below) :bounce: :bounce:

KingCody said:
i had never even heard of "the PhysX Processor" until I read this thread, and after googling and reading info on it, I'm still not quite sure what it's does.

As I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong... and I probably am... lol :)), it's basically a second processor to handle the extra work that the CPU cannot handle at one time... so my question is... couldn't a dual core processor do the same thing if the game was written to take advantage of it? (from what I have read, there currently no games written to take advantage of a multi-core CPU)

Read what is above :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

CrossFire851 said:
Read what is above :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
huh?

the question of whether or not a dual core processor could do the work that the physX processor does remains to be answered :knock: :)

yes

We could have spent a lot of time looking at how the current move to dual core processors can handle physics processing and if the AGEIA chip is going to be able to out pace the idea of developers using a second core for all physics calculations.

From this article:http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=140&type=expert&pid=3

It does souund like a good idea, but the article does a good job of pointing out the complications of parallel development and marketing. And as the above quote points out, why not just throw all this effort into dual-core CPU's or even more powerful GPUs as the article also hints at.

I'd wait to buy one until a year from now at least. Not to mention the price, eeks.

after reading up on physics processing (alot more than I was planning to..lol :)), It seems that to be as effective as possible, then it would have to be implented on a stand alone card.

Although it seems that the second core of a dual core CPU can handle the calculations, it would have to do it using system memory which any gamer knows is not a good thing.

Every gamer knows that onboard graphics are useless when it comes to gaming, I guess it would have the same kind of disadvantage to have "onboard physic" so to speak... a separate card with it's own processor, and faster dedicated memory would surely be the way to go.

As for me personally, the more I read up on it the more I love the idea of what the PhysX card will do for gaming as we know it, however the $300 price point is just too much money for me to spend on something that is pretty much not in use yet.

But to answer your original question gatoensumano... you won't get much use from it if you were to buy it now because it has very limited support by the game developement community because only a tiny portion of gamers have the card, on the flipside, the more people that buy the card... the quicker the game developers will start to write games to take advantage of the card.

http://physx.ageia.com/footage.html go there .. it has ingame footage of the processor in action... the cellfactor footage is amazing... if only my pc could run it lol... all those who say it is a waste... NOOBS

EDIT: its not that the processor and gfx cannot handle the physics.. its just no super realistic.. on that site it tells you in the faq what it really does.

Lots of "noobs" here on TS, yes - as with any tech site. There aren't many in this thread though ;)

hmmm......

EDIT: also i made a post with that site on it not 2 hours ago.. wat happened to it... why was it deleted??

I moved it here because it belonged in this thread, and then deleted it because I realised that you'd already posted it once anyway - it was a duplicate post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back