The right Graphics Card for Video Rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am new to this forum and hope I selected the right thread.

I need advise please. I am not in gaming and hence do not know the latest and greatest on graphics cards. I am about to replace my existing PC and am doing some research now to determine best bang for buck. So if there is soneome out there that plays with video rendering; (i) is there an optimum card to minimise the rendering time and (ii) what is the relationship between the PC configuration against the appropriate card to get best bang for bug.

Thanking you in advance

Wolley

Without knowing where you are in the world or how much you intend to spend, there isnt a lot of advice we can give.

Hi Rik,

I am in South Africa. For reference, a typical home PC costs around the R4500 mark. I am willing to spend up to about R10,000

Regards

Andre

If you had put your location in your profile it would have made life easier.
I have no idea what hardware is available in south africa at all.

I am not convinced that mainstream technology in UK is that different from what I have seem here Rik. You want to shoot with options and advise?

Thanks for trying

Wolley

So, are you talking about a complete system build or are you going to use parts of your current pc? Monitor, mouse, keyboard, hard drive, optical drives etc.

If you are looking for faster video rendering, a new video card will not help as much as a new CPU would. Video rendering or compression is mostly CPU dependent.

wolley said:
I am about to replace my existing PC and am doing some research now to determine best bang for buck.

Boogityboo04, you should have read the first post more carefully.

I'm not sure how a Rand compares to Australian $, but here's my R20 worth

CPU INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4GHZ 8M GOSTEP# $349.00

MEM TEAM XTREEM PC8500 1GBX2 1066M 5-5-5-15 $229.00

MBRD ASUS P5K-V DESKTOP BOARD# $219.00

That'd be a pretty good platform& the Board has 2x Firewire ports.

The Video Card isn't that crucial when rendering, go for the best one your budget allows - an 8800 series?

Yes I think you want a fast CPU and 2/4GB RAM to improve performance in 3d work. Graphics cards primarily function is playing games.

The best price v performance CPU must be Q6600, especially in 3d work because 3d software will use the multiple processors effectively. About RAM, I am about to upgrade and I'm most probably going to go for 2GB rather than 4GB. After a little research the performance gain I'd see does not appear largly significant provided the extra money it would cost.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - R2806.00
Kingston HyperX 2GB DDR2 800MHz kit - R1539.00
ASUS P5K Motherboard - R1561.00
Enermax Liberty 400W PSU - R1184.00
XFX GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3 - R864.00
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATAII HDD - R1340.00
CoolerMaster Cavalier CAV-T01 Case with 1x120mm Rear fan - R610.00

Grand Total = R9635.00 with VAT included. A great PC that will be enough for your needs. I don't know about the video card but I think it'll be enough for you. Anyone else please feel free for different recommendations.
I hope I helped. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back