The Ruggie alarm clock won't turn off until you get out of bed and stand on it

midian182

Staff member

If you’re one of the millions of people who prefer to hit the snooze button on the alarm rather than leave your bed in the morning, then you may want to consider a new product that could help you get up earlier. Ruggie is an invention from Winson Tam that’s essentially a rug with an alarm clock built into it. The smart part is the alarm itself – when it goes off, it’ll only stop once you stand on the Ruggie for three seconds.

Around 33 percent of people use the snooze feature on their alarms at least three times a day, but Ruggie has no snooze feature and physically forces people to get out of bed to silence the alarm.

"Too many times I've over-snoozed. I know how it feels, it sucks. There is so much resistance in the morning, the warm comfy bed, the cold floors, that awesome dream we just had," said Tam. "I created Ruggie to help myself and others get out of bed easier and be more productive."

The white Ruggie measures 15.5-inches X 23.5-inches and is made from a rebounding memory foam and felt. It has a touch sensor and a blue LED in the corner displaying the time.

The device is fitted with a USB port so you can connect it to a computer and configure what kind of noise you want to wake you up. You can even make Ruggie play a motivational sound clip (or any audio clip of your choosing) once you turn off the alarm, such as “don’t get back into bed”.

With 51 days left of its Kickstarter, Ruggie has already soared past its $50,000 target and now stands at $126,726. You can still get one of the devices on the Kickstarter site, which includes a Ruggie mat, USB cable, and an ebook on how to wake up early, for $79. The estimated retail price will be approximately $99 and backers can expect to get their Ruggies around September.

Permalink to story.

Great!!!! Something else for the damn dog to pull out in the living room and shake to death. I hope it's not filled with those little foam pellets .... I'm still vacuuming up from the last K9 incident!

Apparently a lot of people have a problem getting out of bed in the morning, thankfully I've never suffered from that except a long time ago, back in the day when I was often nursing a hangover but that eventually drove me out of bed.

This shall work brilliantly for my teenage son. He has to get up to throw it, and even still its just a mat.

Responsibilities - wakes you up every time, sometimes in the middle of the night.

I am already keeping my alarm at a table away from my bed so I have to get up and take a few steps to reach it. But I end up carrying it back to bed and hitting snooze. I wake up only after hitting snooze once or twice.

Was interested until read the article. 79$ is way too much, the parts costs 5-15$ in china. Being on kickstarter doesn't help as he has no obligation to do anything but collect money.

I am already keeping my alarm at a table away from my bed so I have to get up and take a few steps to reach it. But I end up carrying it back to bed and hitting snooze. I wake up only after hitting snooze once or twice.
I set my alarm so I have time to hit snooze a few times and still be on time, it helps a lot.

Back