The Samsung Galaxy S8 reportedly will have a headphone jack after all

Scorpus

Staff member

Last month, a report suggested the Samsung Galaxy S8 would not feature a 3.5mm headphone jack, following in the footsteps of Apple's 'courageous' decision to remove the universally-used port from the iPhone 7. When this news first surfaced, prospective buyers were enraged, with many saying they would not purchase a Samsung device without such a crucial feature.

But there's good news! A new report from The Guardian has surfaced, claiming the Galaxy S8 will, in fact, have a headphone jack after all. This report cites "several sources" and includes a swathe of other information about Samsung's upcoming flagship.

The Guardian claims the Galaxy S8 will be announced in March and will hit store shelves in April, which lines up with previous reports that say Samsung won't debut the phone at Mobile World Congress next month. The S8 will also include a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 – the SoC Samsung is hoarding ahead of their product launch – alongside a microSD card slot and a USB-C port.

Like the Galaxy Note 7, the Galaxy S8 will include an iris scanner, and The Guardian has backed up other reports claiming the device will feature an almost bezel-free display. While the S8 will come in two sizes like the Galaxy S7, both S8 models will feature larger displays in bodies of similar size to the S7.

One of the more interesting parts of The Guardian's report talks about the Galaxy S8's upcoming accessories. One of these accessories is reportedly known as the DeX, and will transform the S8 into an Android desktop computer by docking the smartphone to a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Think of it as an Android equivalent to Microsoft's Continuum.

It might still be a few months before Samsung officially unveils the Galaxy S8, but it seems leaks will keep flowing in the meantime. 

Permalink to story.

HAHAHAHAHA .... oh, you beat me to that one! But it's a smart move. A lot of users are tired of "upgrades" that suddenly require them to buy an entire new set of peripherals ..... One of the many reasons I dropped my iPhone.

Soon, some reviewers will write having a headphone jack is a disadvantage :(. Do NOT remove it please !
inb4 "The headphone jack takes unnecessary amounts of space inside the handset and honestly such an outmoded technology that it has no place in a phone being released in 202x"

you saw it here first folks!

Keeping the 3.5mm makes customers happy and Samsung laughs their way to the bank. I see a win win. Go Samsung, show the rest how it is done.

It's good news, I like it. Not that I'll be in the least bit annoyed about it's omission when it finally comes (probably next year) because wireless BT is far more convenient when I'm working out and the cable is nothing more than an irritating nuisance to me. The adoption of BT 5 means bandwidth won't be a problem for sound purists, but the inclusion of the venerable, albeit very ancient 3.5mm jack is a welcome inclusion for many and I'm not complaining... not just yet.

I've used HTC devices ever since my first smartphone, but with them confirming the removal of the 3.5mm socket in the U series (and making it out of freaking glass), and now this coming to light, it seems that I'll be moving to Samsung after all. Shame, as I always preferred the Sense UI, but I'm not gonna start shelling out for and carrying around an adapter (and likely losing the ability to charge while listening) - or worse, having to buy new cans (which just ain't happening). Peace out HTC, you lost to a company that makes pocket sparklers.

I've used HTC devices ever since my first smartphone, but with them confirming the removal of the 3.5mm socket in the U series (and making it out of freaking glass), and now this coming to light, it seems that I'll be moving to Samsung after all. Shame, as I always preferred the Sense UI, but I'm not gonna start shelling out for and carrying around an adapter (and likely losing the ability to charge while listening) - or worse, having to buy new cans (which just ain't happening). Peace out HTC, you lost to a company that makes pocket sparklers.
You DO know that it will come with headphones that work without 3.5mm if the port is removed... I love how people make such a big deal out of it...

Back