The Sims 2: failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrymc

Hi
When trying to run The Sims 2 the following message appears:

Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!Please make sure you have a direct X9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate.

I am running a AMD Athlon XP3200+ with 512KB L2 cache and 400MHz FSB,1GB of DDR
256MB nvidia geforce FX5700LE graphics card

I would appreciate any help
Regards
Terry

First go to nvidia and get the drivers for your graphics card. Second go to microsoft and get directx 9 should be easy to download.

I dont know if this is the right information but when i run dxdiag
on the system tab under system information it says:
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I downloaded Direct X 9.0 twice and i have also downloaded the latest drivers
for my graphics card but the sims 2 still dosent work the same message still appears.

Thanks
Terry

There is also a game patch. If you haven't already, try installing that. Google for it.

i tried the Sims website and i tried to download the patch and it kept saying
Sims 2 updater has encountered a problem and needs to close.

However searching on the Sims site after updating my drivers i found these
instructions:
Click on Start.
Click on Run...
Type dxdiag into the box.
Click OK.
Click on the Display tab.
Find the DirectX Features box.
The first feature is DirectDraw Acceleration. It should say Enabled next to it. If it says Disabled, click the Enable button.
The second feature is Direct3D Acceleration. It should say Enabled next to it. If it says Disabled, click the Enable button.
The third feature is AGP Texture Acceleration. It should say Enabled next to it. If it says Disabled, click the Enable button.
Once all three are enabled, close the window.
You may now start your game. The error should no longer occur

But when i run dxdiag and click on the display tab in the directx features box it says not availible next to all of the things i need to enable
Why is this?
Thanks
Terry

Those items are functions of the graphics card driver. It sounds like the graphics card driver has not been installed yet or has been improperly installed. In case you did something wrong, could you list the steps that you took when you tried to install the Nvidia graphics card driver?

Did the installation complete without any errors?
you should check that the drivers for your video card are installed correctly.Do this by going to Start>Control Panel>System, Then make sure the hardware tab is pressed up the top(orange line above it)then click Device Manager. Now double click display adapters and your video card should be listed here. If it is double click on it and check the information in the box that says device status.
Hope you can get this problem sorted out.
Cheers,
moltenz.

Unless you left something out, you overlooked uninstalling the old driver first. The sequence should go something like this: uninstall old driver (from Add/Remove Programs), restart, if Windows asks to install a driver, cancel, install new driver and restart. You don't want to install a graphics driver on top of an old one. Sometimes you have to use programs like Drivercleaner to get rid of all driver files.

Hurrah!

Thank you everyone for your advice i managed to get the sims 2 working by uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers.
Thanks a lot
Terry

Lex

I have the same exact problem with my Sims 2, except my computer tells me that no problems were found and that I do have a Directx 9.0c, but i get the same message about "failed to find any compatible Directx 9.0c...", plus i don't have the internet on my computer so how would i download a new graphics card. And if my computer says i have it why wont it work?

the sims 2

regarding the sims 2

i have the sims 2 and the "direct x" message appears on the screen.

this is the complicated bit.

i had the sims 2 pets installed but it kept crashing. i got some additional space driver thing and it started working fine until it started crashing again. i started my computer back to the beginning to get it to work because my pc was clogged up. now this message comes up and i have downloaded direct x 9.0c. i think i am running on a radeon sapphire thingy.

the only problem is that it has worked before..

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

If it seems that nothing you are doing is making it work, then it's a symptom of spyware. Try running the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware
All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet.

ilkjd06, read this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic66528.html
It should answer most of your questions.

A graphics card is hardware and you can't download it. If you need one (and likely you do), you have to buy one and physically install it. Your system might be restricted as to which card you can purchase. That could limit you to just low end cards that might not run your games all that great.

I have the same problem and I installed DirectX 9.0c and its new detonators But i STILLL SAYS failed to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphic adaptors in the system WHYYYYYYYYYY! wont it work? Help!

i also get the: "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!Please make sure you have a direct X9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate." error message. I'm running on nvidia geforce 9600 GT with a AMD atholon 64 xm dual core processor 6000+ 3.10 ghz with windows vista 64bit. I have installed the latest drivers for my video card and have loaded the updates for the game. still doesn't work. any ideas?

i have 2 high def. audio drivers is that bad? and i have the problem with the compatible graphics. my laptop is a toshiba satellite m105-s3064. any help would be appreciat

i have had this problem and its only just started and the reason mine is happening im sure is that i left the cd at my friends house and attempted to crack the game, has anyone else done this?

because im sure with the disc i wouldn't be having this problem again.

tugg,
when you installed the latest drivers, did you uninstall the previous driver set?, or install over them?

I'm very sure last time this happened to me I had to reinstall the game to get it to work, and it's what i've had to do again.

But i do think that if anyones tried to crack the game and hasn't done it properly then that could be the problem you are having, because that's what happened to me both times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back