The Subsystem needed to support this image type is not avalible

By Animatronics
Nov 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello!

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, and I am getting "The Subsystem needed to support this image type is not available" every time I try to run any programs. I can open pictures though.

Please help.
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

3. Animatronics

Animatronics Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I will try this and update the results.
  4. Animatronics

I tried it, still the same message. Please help.
  5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,280   +152

I did some searching and wonder if this might be a 32- vs 64 bit thing. Try this experiment:
    > Try running some of the programs you find listed under C:\Program Files (x86) - these are 32 bit apps.
    > Then also try some programs found under C:\Programs Files - these are 64 bit apps.

Do you see any pattern?
  6. Animatronics

Everything in Program Files works, but nothing in x86 works. That is the problem! Fix?
  7. LookinAround

All the programs stored in Programs x86 are 32-bit apps. So I think we've identified the problem: 32-bit applications won't run on your machine. I don't know the reason they've stopped working or a fix (yet) but I'll search to see if I can find or figure out one.
  8. LookinAround

P.s. I don't know if this will fix the problem but is good to run to at least make sure all critical Windows files are OK. Open an elevated command prompt then enter
    Code:
    sfc /scannow
  9. Animatronics

Everything checks out ok!
  10. St1ckM4n

What's the error message? You may have to run a Windows Repair, as a component of the OS is broken - WOW64.
  11. Animatronics

The error on every 32 bit app is "The Subsystem needed to support this image type is not available"
  12. St1ckM4n

Start backing up your data and prepare to do a Windows Repair. I've got no other solutions for you. :(
  13. Animatronics

I've tried that before, windows repair did not work, saying I had a version more updated than the disk.

14. LookinAround

Have you recently seen any suspicious pop-ups? or had a malware infection?

I've found evidence this problem can be caused by a virus. It requires offline methods to fix (as many of the often used malware tools are 32 bit apps! so won't work).

Don't know if it'll work but you can try instructions I found here for a bootable antivirus scan HERE. You can also try our malware forum but in worst case, you may need to full reinstall :(
  15. LookinAround

Update: I talked to our malware expert. They said should be able to tell if it's malware related or not. Provide them with as much detail you know of your problem and tell them I sent you there and your error message.

Try the USB scan first. If you post to malware forum also read the instructions at top of malware forum. See if you can run any of those tools

/* EDIT */
    p.s. I talked to Broni in malware.
  16. Animatronics

Ok, I will try something and get back with you. This is an extremely helpful forum!
  17. Animatronics

Turns out WOW64 is corrupt.

Can anyone running Windows 7 64 bit, please upload their C:/Program Files x86/Microsoft Application Virtualization folder?
  18. LookinAround

I'm confused. As far as I know, MS Virtualization and Syswow64 are different components. in fact, I have win7 x64 and have no such folder.

I suggest you're best to try the malware folk. See if they can see if its a virus and repair your problem.

just fyi... You might find this interesting reading and an indication of all that can go bad
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-windows7-vista64-support-32bit-applications.htm

/* EDIT */
    Oh. And if you're trying to bring up a virtual environment on your PC, it would need more then just a copy of files. I believe you'd also need all the registry hooks, DLL and EXE file registrations, etc. to get it to work
  19. Animatronics

It's only for those that have an AMD processor
  20. St1ckM4n

As said above, try malware forum. Otherwise, a Windows Repair. If not, full reinstall.
  21. Animatronics

Decided to full reinstall, since I don't lose any information.
  22. St1ckM4n

Good choice.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.