The Subsystem needed to support this image type is not avalible

Animatronics

Hello!

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, and I am getting "The Subsystem needed to support this image type is not available" every time I try to run any programs. I can open pictures though.

Please help.

I did some searching and wonder if this might be a 32- vs 64 bit thing. Try this experiment:
> Try running some of the programs you find listed under C:\Program Files (x86) - these are 32 bit apps.
> Then also try some programs found under C:\Programs Files - these are 64 bit apps.

Do you see any pattern?

All the programs stored in Programs x86 are 32-bit apps. So I think we've identified the problem: 32-bit applications won't run on your machine. I don't know the reason they've stopped working or a fix (yet) but I'll search to see if I can find or figure out one.

P.s. I don't know if this will fix the problem but is good to run to at least make sure all critical Windows files are OK. Open an elevated command prompt then enter
Code:
sfc /scannow

Start backing up your data and prepare to do a Windows Repair. I've got no other solutions for you. :(

Have you recently seen any suspicious pop-ups? or had a malware infection?

I've found evidence this problem can be caused by a virus. It requires offline methods to fix (as many of the often used malware tools are 32 bit apps! so won't work).

Don't know if it'll work but you can try instructions I found here for a bootable antivirus scan HERE. You can also try our malware forum but in worst case, you may need to full reinstall :(

Update: I talked to our malware expert. They said should be able to tell if it's malware related or not. Provide them with as much detail you know of your problem and tell them I sent you there and your error message.

Try the USB scan first. If you post to malware forum also read the instructions at top of malware forum. See if you can run any of those tools

/* EDIT */
p.s. I talked to Broni in malware.

Turns out WOW64 is corrupt.

Can anyone running Windows 7 64 bit, please upload their C:/Program Files x86/Microsoft Application Virtualization folder?

Turns out WOW64 is corrupt.

Can anyone running Windows 7 64 bit, please upload their C:/Program Files x86/Microsoft Application Virtualization folder?

I'm confused. As far as I know, MS Virtualization and Syswow64 are different components. in fact, I have win7 x64 and have no such folder.

I suggest you're best to try the malware folk. See if they can see if its a virus and repair your problem.

just fyi... You might find this interesting reading and an indication of all that can go bad
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-windows7-vista64-support-32bit-applications.htm

/* EDIT */
Oh. And if you're trying to bring up a virtual environment on your PC, it would need more then just a copy of files. I believe you'd also need all the registry hooks, DLL and EXE file registrations, etc. to get it to work

Back