The system has recovered from a serious error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. My pc froze up so I rebooted it, but since then, I get the error message popping up saying "The system has recovered from a serious error." When I click on the don't send button the window keeps popping up no matter how many times that I click it. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm using Windows XP. Thanks

his problem often occurs because after a Minidump file is written, the paging file continues to have a flag set that indicates that a Minidump file must be written, and it cannot perform that function perhaps because you shut down too fast..
It can also happen if you do not have the latest Service Pack for XP installed.
The problem is not to be ignored unless you know for certain what caused the freeze and shutdown.
Someone can perhaps tell you more if you tell us
Brand, model, configuration, and age of your computer and whether Service Pack 2 or 3 is installed, as well as a little info on what you were doing when the computer froze up..

Here are the specs of the computer.....
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 processor
2.61 GHz, 3.00GB of RAM
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
PC's about a year old. Maybe a little younger than that. What I was doing was I had clicked on properties of the my music folder and it was calculating how many gigs of data was in the folder. It froze up so I rebooted, and then encountered the message.
Have I given enough info about my pc?

Ignore the first message I left, as I confused you with another correspondent.

Ok, it is a good... that it has plenty of memory.

Now I need the Service Tag which is about 7 to 9 digits of letters and numbers. That enables us to look at your entire configuration as when it was new...
We assume it worked when new and until now, so we don't know what it quit... but it could be a failure of one memory module...
We are hoping we can have you remove some of the memory so as to test the other memory... and the Service Tag helps me see what you have and how you can get to the memory.

If it is still under warranty, we want to be conscious of that as well... so as not to void the warranty.
Have you been back up and running since the crash? Can you reboot?
If you cannot, we want you to boot to <SAFE MODE> which you do by shutting down the power then restarting.
As soon as you restart and your first see anything on the screen, beginning pressing the <F8> key once every two seconds... until it boots... It will boot in a funny way and take quite a while...
When you get the choice, go to the top of the screen that lists possible startup options, and select SAFE MODE.

you can print it out what it has...

What you describe is more typical of inadequate memory in that model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back