The top 10 highest-paid YouTube stars earned a combined $54.4 million last year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

YouTube is ubiquitous with modern culture, serving as the go-to destination for all things video on the web. For a select few, however, Google’s video sharing platform is much more than an entertainment destination: it’s how they earn their living.

Forbes recently compiled its first-ever list of the highest earning stars on YouTube. Leading the pack is Felix Kjellberg, the 25-year-old Swede known online as PewDiePie who earned an estimated $12 million for the year ending June 1. That’s not a bad haul for someone that sits around and plays video games all day.

The complete top 10 earnings list is as follows:

The YouTube stars are from all walks of life and cover a variety of material but the one thing most of them share is youth; the majority of top earners are under 30.

Forbes used a number of sources to reach its earnings estimates including data from Nielsen and IMDB as well as interviews with agents, lawyers, managers, industry insiders and YouTube stars themselves. All earnings estimates are before management fees and taxes.

Permalink to story.

How much did bill gates earn last year? How about tim cook? Entertainers are in the wrong business. Get an mba.

It's always nice to know that not doing anything important will make you more money than a real job.

Entertainers have been making a killing for centuries. At the pro level, it's every bit as "real" as stacking crates.

Agreed. I read an article about the girl featured in the article picture. She took the risk and quit her job to take care of her YouTube business. She works some 12 hours a day, so it's not all easy. Anyone staying on top makes sacrifice to get there. And you need some luck to go with it, too.

Agreed. I read an article about the girl featured in the article picture. She took the risk and quit her job to take care of her YouTube business. She works some 12 hours a day, so it's not all easy. Anyone staying on top makes sacrifice to get there. And you need some luck to go with it, too.

I'd say mostly luck when it comes to the entertainment industry.

I'd say mostly luck when it comes to the entertainment industry.

Yup, there'll be a lot more wannabees out there (and probably many of them that are far better) that won't be earning this much. I wonder if these 10 reflect society , etc., in general? you know, the whole top 1% earn half the total .

How much did bill gates earn last year? How about tim cook? Entertainers are in the wrong business. Get an mba.

lmao I know people with MBA's that work at the mall!

I'd rather be an entertainer where I'm mostly my own boss and I call all the shots. Instead of trying to work your way up the corporate ladder where you will be the first to be laid off when the company doesn't meet their expected earnings for the quarter.

Last edited:
if you value your Internet life, don't even look for it :X You be better off without it. He already scared my eras and brains for life :(

I wish Vsauce / AsapScience was up there, even Matthew Santoro is awesome.
I like ASAPScience as well along with JayzTwoCents, Those are the two channels I subscribe to.

I like ASAPScience as well along with JayzTwoCents, Those are the two channels I subscribe to.

Ah yes, JTC is awesome, really relaxed fella and informative. There are few techie Youtubers I like, but then again I am on a techie forum. But as a "hardcore" gamer, I barely watch any of them. Maybe once in a while I pop on SpiersTheAmazing but most of the time, they are either immature or rage too much (kind falls into the same thing tho).

Ah yes, JTC is awesome, really relaxed fella and informative. There are few techie Youtubers I like, but then again I am on a techie forum. But as a "hardcore" gamer, I barely watch any of them. Maybe once in a while I pop on SpiersTheAmazing but most of the time, they are either immature or rage too much (kind falls into the same thing tho).
I also watch Techquickie, Linus does a good job of explaining things even if his squeaky voice is very irritating.

Back