The UK may introduce technology that blocks smartphone signals when owners are driving

midian182

Staff member

Different locations have different rules when it comes to using mobile devices while driving. Despite facing fines reaching £1000 ($1238) and a possible driving ban, one in three UK motorists admit to using their smartphones while in control of a vehicle. With 17,500 people taken to court for the offense last year, the country is looking at ways of stopping the practice, including automatically disabling phones in moving cars.

The UK’s Department for Transport (DfT) is planning exploratory meetings with network providers and handset manufacturers next year to discuss ways of tackling mobile use while driving. One potential solution is to introduce technology that blocks all phone calls, texts, and data while behind the wheel.

It seems there are two options on the table. The first, and most likely, is to compel manufacturers to build a ‘driving mode’ option into their handsets. The feature will operate much in the same way as airplane mode, the only difference being that drivers could make emergency calls and accept calls from certain designated persons. It would be up to the phone owner to activate driving mode before starting their journey.

The second idea involves using GPS technology to block smartphone signals once a certain speed is reached. One of the many problems with this solution is that it could also affect passengers in the vehicle and those using public transport.

Given how such features could negatively affect sales, many manufacturers are unlikely to include automatic blocking technology unless legally compelled to do so. It would no doubt cause problems with infotainment systems and hands-free kits, too, which a recent study claimed were just as distracting for drivers as mobiles.

Holding a mobile device while driving has been illegal in the UK for the last 13 years, but is still a contributing factor in around 20 road deaths each year. The number of people who admitted to using a handset behind the wheel has increased 23 percent in the last two years. The government is introducing harsher penalties, but they seem unlikely to discourage most drivers.

“We are determined to crack down on mobile phone use at the wheel. Our plans to double penalties for this serious crime should act as an incredibly strong deterrent. We will continue to explore what more can be done to tackle this crime,” said a DfT spokesperson.

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently published guidelines that call for the implementation of an automatic driver mode. Unlike the UK’s proposed feature, this would only limit certain functions rather than almost entirely disabling a handset.

Permalink to story.

Only 20 road deaths a year? Surely they must have much more important things to do than waste time, money and effort on trying out those stupid, unenforceable restrictions. VW thinks nothing of killing about 10000 people a year by circumventing emission laws just for the sake of sales and profit...

Hello police, there's been a terrible accident..hello? hello? can you hear me? anyone there?

Only 20 road deaths a year? Surely they must have much more important things to do than waste time, money and effort on trying out those stupid, unenforceable restrictions. VW thinks nothing of killing about 10000 people a year by circumventing emission laws just for the sake of sales and profit...

Pulling figures from thin air does little to help keep it cleaner.

This seems draconian in the extreme and laced with potential problems . :(

What happens when there is a crash and for some reason this type of technology interferes or retards people from contacting the authorities?

What about passengers in any car or vehicle will they also be prevented from using there devices?

It's ridiculous this is still even being discussed.
Just fix it:
1. GPS must be on at all times. Make no way to turn it off.
2. If the GPS senses movement above some arbitrary speed, say 5 mph, disable the phone/text/messaging functions.
Done.

Unless the physics of transmission / reception of radio waves through the air has changed, they could simply introduce a copper based paint on the skin of the automobiles and properly ground it to the frame, creating a dandy little isolation zone used by every major and minor player that has to check out cell phones. Been used ever since the first radio's capable of transmission and reception came around .... don't think that really constitutes "new technology"; unless of course the copper is brand new and still shiny! HAHAHA

They should just ban drivers for endangering peoples lives like this. 1 in 3 people are obviously morons.

And what about drivers using Maps for directions while driving??? Switch off data and all you've got is an empty screen!! No one forces on you turning on Airplane mode yet the catastrophy would result in hundreds of deaths, but for drivers lets make it automatic so that a few people won't die... Airlines don't care enough so what's different here? Why introduce it in a first place, we already have it! It's called..... Airplane mode! Bunch of muppets..

Hello police, there's been a terrible accident..hello? hello? can you hear me? anyone there?

Pulling figures from thin air does little to help keep it cleaner.

Are you talking about @Skidmarksdeluxe, or the article, since it appears he was quoting the article:

Holding a mobile device while driving has been illegal in the UK for the last 13 years, but is still a contributing factor in around 20 road deaths each year. The number of people who admitted to using a handset behind the wheel has increased 23 percent in the last two years. The government is introducing harsher penalties, but they seem unlikely to discourage most drivers.

This tech had the potentially to cause as many accident as it would possibly prevent. The very idea of disabling a communications system seems stupid! Who's to say when it will be required for use really? If you ask me that should be at the discretion of the driver and passengers.

What happens if im traveling down a motorway or duel-carriageway at speed and witness an accident on the other side but cannot report it to the authorities without slowing down, possibly endangering not only my own car but other behind me?

Girl Friend New 2016 Ford Fusion which I made sure was high tech which it is has cell phone hands logic built-in. Along with full LED panel screen center control, on dash two LED Panels. When a caller calls it shows up on all the panels. I have used it myself pretty cool tech for the Ford Sync system. Vehicle wasn't cheap, but she needed a car like that....

You know what, I was all ready to disagree with you, But the more I think about it the more I realise you are correct. It would cause a lot of protest but people would adapt, You don't get a great signal on a train anyway and people talking on phones while on public transport are quite irritating.

Back