TechSpot

The UK's red phone boxes get converted into free public charging stations

By Justin Kahn
Oct 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. As smartphones and mobile technologies progress, those iconic red phone boxes once scattered throughout Britain are becoming much less practical. While some are simply being sent to the dump, others are being converted for more useful applications.

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Now we're talking...

Go to the green box to answer the calls, go to the red box to reject calls...

Charge up some whisky while at it...

UK is fun, ....till you get to share the phone booth with someone much boozier than you, a real ugly looking dude, and oh wait, it's not even Rowan Atkinson...thinking prince Charles? - try again.......who's your buddy...?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    H3llion likes this.
  3. Radient

Radient TS Rookie Posts: 43

More ads marketing sucks maby north korea would be a good vacation

4. TadMSTR

TadMSTR TS Enthusiast Posts: 37   +9

Cool idea but I suspect people will try to hack them. Though it might create a market for adapters that block data but allow power.

5. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

I very much doubt that the iconic red phone boxes are being dumped. They are very collectable. I am sure the more modern boxes have been scrapped.

6. VitalyT

Thence came bipartisanship... and you better decide now where your allegiance is!

I'll be a red-booth squatter! Kill the greens, kill the greens! :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,387   +106

Times have changed! Phone boxes here in the USA are pretty much gone!

8. VitalyT

You got your trailer parks, mate! ;)

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,684   +1,877

We just keep trailer parks around as tornado bait. Works every time..(y)

10. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,606   +287

I don't know about everyone else but I feel myself becoming immune to advertising. I don't even use an ad blocker and couldn't even tell you what adverts are on any of the web sites I read regularly. Advertising companies pouring money into these sort of ventures are throwing money away in my opinion.

The major issue here is drunk guys tendency to pee in any convenient location (apart from the actual toilets in pubs/bars). I can imagine a lot of these smelling of wee.

11. captaincranky

I've said something on this order for years, but viewed from a business's perspective. Why do you keep handing Google more and more money for ads, don't you realize we're pretty much at the saturation point. Google is just taking your money.

When you come right down to it, most advertising is demeaning and condescending to its own target audience. Or for God's sake, if it isn't, a lot of people need to need to wake the hell up and realize it's intended to be.

How many 800 series beemers does the average person buy in a lifetime? Clue, the answer is "none". Does that prevent BMW from advertising them on a daily basis, and at least twice on Superbowl Sunday? Hell no!

Arris likes this.
  12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

This is why I like the British, they are inherently rigid and resistant to change. Britain wouldn't be Britain if there were no more red call boxes, black taxis and red double decker busses, hell I'm surprised they got rid of trams.

13. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Blackpool retained the original tram network. Quite a few towns in UK have reintroduced trams for example Croydon, Manchester, Birmingham and Sheffield.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  14. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,387   +106

You mean metal neighborhoods, but those don't have any payphone. I don't visit that area, I doubt those are left here since hurricane can cause issues for those metal homes.

15. captaincranky

I told you what trailer parks were for, to lure tornadoes out of the clouds

16. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,648   +521

Evidentially they are being used by people, 6 and hour oh boy, but even this will be obsolete once advanced battery technology is release from the super powers who control the oil and natural gas of the world. Also people in the UK are far to well mannered, apart those urinating drunks, something like this in Montreal would be vandalized within a week. It just takes one kid to go in to that booth and tear out all the power leads, heck even the solar panel on the top would be smashed or stolen.