The US legally recognizes video games as an art form

By Emil
May 9, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The US National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) now considers video games eligible for artistic funding, meaning they are legally recognized as an art form. For those not familiar with…

Read the whole story
  2. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 852   +73

As a modder and the amount of work I put into mods, I agree that its art BUT NOT worthy of 200k in funding. Although I am glad that it is recognized as art. After all, modding is responsible for ~70% of the reasons for educating myself in computers.
  3. p51d007

p51d007 TechSpot Booster Posts: 291   +38

Oh goodie! Now we can give GAME developers tax payer money too!
    What a joke. The NEA needs to be UNfunded!
  4. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

"Artists who want to create art for a public place rather than selling it commercially"

Oh goodie! You can't read!
  5. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,573   +47

I consider playing a video game an art form....except stuff like Papa the Rappa obviously.
  6. Zecias

Zecias TechSpot Booster Posts: 202

its 200k... thats not very much.
    if everyone in america helped pay for it it would come out at less than 50 cents a person.
  7. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 852   +73

50 cents, dollar here. Before you know it I have $60 taken out of each paycheck. now it's $60.50 and then it will be $61. Not that I have a problem with paying taxes, but this is not something we should be spending money on in the middle of an economic crisis.
  8. If you start from scratch, using your creativity to create something, does the form of the canvas really matter? I say no. Clear as day. These game-worlds we all see and take for granted are put together piece by piece and it probably takes a lot more time than painting something (most the time). And I speak from personal experience as a brush-toading king of the canvas here, as well as having done some modding and actual 3D editing with serious applications like 3D Studio, a while back. Games are art. They always have been. For some nincompoop to make it "official" is insulting, as much as it is a positive thing.
  9. why not? americans pays about nothing in taxes anyway so what would be the difrence for you
  10. Zecias

Zecias TechSpot Booster Posts: 202

pointless worrying about the small things; its not the small things that cause heavy taxes or the current economic crisis. taxes are pretty low right now anyways. recession = lower taxes to encourage spending and pump money into the economy.
    why are we in this recession in the first place?
    the government
    lack of regulations
    banks paying people to sell subprime mortgages to others that can't afford to pay it back
    loaning more money than available, so we(the taxpayers) are left to bail out the greedy banks
    kinda like the great depression, except less severe and it involves mortgages rather than stocks.
    you could also complain about how we have to pay more taxes because companies like google use loopholes and end up paying 1% while the general populace pays 30% tax
    wall street bigshots paying the 15% tax because they are risking their own money to make money. only.... they aren't. they're handling the money of others and reaping the benefits. no risks, more money.

anyways, my point is, stuff like this is insignificant. sorry about my rant
  11. p51d007 is correct.

First of all the NEA is an unconstitutional institutional hence it is illegal so any money given to it is theft from the American people. The only power government has in relation to the arts is under Article One, Section Eight

"To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;"

And as of now Congress cannot even do that with the lifetime+ copyrights on IP works. That's not the definition of limited.

Secondly, you do not want government deciding what is art, once you go down that road, then you allow government to decide what is the press and what is not, what is a crime and what is not, what is good for you to eat and what is not

There is only one institution that has the ability and expertise to decide what is art and that is the free market, the same force that wrested the internet from the government and gives us what we have now as opposed to what government gave us 30+ years ago.

12. FYI: 50 cents from 300 million Americans (conservative estimate) is 15 million dollars. 200k is a pittance to the pocket book of a country.
  13. Coding for weeks on end is not worth 200K of the governments money, but dropping paint at random onto a canvas is worth millions of that same money?
  14. Based on your combined mathematics skills zecias and yRaz, perhaps what America should be spending more of your tax on is education. 200k divided by 300 million people equals about 6.6 cents each. If you want to put tax into personal perspective, the amount you pay each year MIGHT cover the maintenance of your street, anything else, just consider it someone else's tax (someone who appreciates art and beauty in their world).
  15. "Should a gamer win a grant, what gaming can do will surprise us all."

- I absolutely agree and look forward to what artistic funding will do for the gaming world. In my opinion, there are too many games designed to sell based on violence and shock factor, and this leaves little room for artistic expression that has truth and meaning.
  16. yes exactly, neither should be receiving government money. Problem solved.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.