The website where GTX 970 owners can receive their $30 settlement claim is now open

midian182

Staff member

Back in July, we reported that Nvidia had settled a series of proposed class action lawsuits brought against the company over its GTX 970. The technology firm publicly agreed to pay $30 to every person who purchased one of the graphics cards, and also cover the $1.3 million in legal fees. Now, the website for customers wishing to submit their claims is up and running.

As a reminder: the lawsuit revolved around the 970’s advertised 4 GB RAM, which Nvidia had separated into a speedy 3.5 GB section and a much slower 512 MB segment. The company also said that the card had 64 render outputs, whereas it actually had 56.

Nvidia claims this didn't make much difference to the card’s performance. It certainly didn’t affect sales; the 970 has been the most popular GPU among Steam users since December last year. However, the positive reception didn’t stop some users bringing the lawsuits, which allege false advertising and deceptive business practices.

To be eligible for the $30 rebate, you must have purchased a GTX 970 between September 1, 2014, and August 24, 2016, from Nvidia, its card partners – Gigabyte, ZOTAC, etc. – or an authorized retailer, and only if you bought it in the US. You may also be eligible if you purchased a desktop PC containing a 970 from an authorized retailer during this time.

You’ll need to provide proof of purchase or your device ID to file a claim. Best not hang around if you want that extra money, though; claims must be sent in by November 8.

Permalink to story.

Is there no way for people like me in the UK to claim on the settlement? If there isn't a way that's more than a little BS.

Is there no way for people like me in the UK to claim on the settlement? If there isn't a way that's more than a little BS.

I'm in Canada and the same boat as you, we get the added benefit of paying way more than MSRP and not qualifying for any such class action lawsuit benefits... I'd like to say I'm not buying anything from nVidia ever again but honestly I can't, what else am I going to use for high end desktop graphics?

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo $30 I can finally retire!!! All my wildest dreams can now come true!!!!

I'm in Canada and the same boat as you, we get the added benefit of paying way more than MSRP
This is due to CAD1 =/= USD1, it's almost like 1,3 to 1, so expect to pay around 30% more, then add custom taxes, then normal taxes, then eventually you realize it's the same price because in the states they also have high taxes, but Canadian's way of life is more expensive, then you also come to the realization that even though you earn almost the same "dollars" per year you are actually making a little bit less due to the 1,3 to 1, and then duck the video card but at some point you remember you have free healthcare without long waiting lists and you can kind of relax for a second, still duck that video card, it's no longer part of the issue now...

So what makes the Yanks so special that only they can claim?
They're the ones who brought the lawsuit... duh...if there is a class action lawsuit in Canada or the UK, then you can get your money too...

In fact, seeing that there is now precedent, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of lawsuits originating in various other countries...

This is due to CAD1 =/= USD1, it's almost like 1,3 to 1, so expect to pay around 30% more, then add custom taxes, then normal taxes, then eventually you realize it's the same price because in the states they also have high taxes, but Canadian's way of life is more expensive, then you also come to the realization that even though you earn almost the same "dollars" per year you are actually making a little bit less due to the 1,3 to 1, and then duck the video card but at some point you remember you have free healthcare without long waiting lists and you can kind of relax for a second, still duck that video card, it's no longer part of the issue now...

Please don't pretend to know what your talking about when it comes to my country, there's far too many things wrong with what your saying for me to even bother trying to explain any of it to you. Nor does it have anything to do with the article at hand, so please go on, tell me how it is where I live, you must really know how life in Canada is from Chile.

So what makes the Yanks so special that only they can claim?
We filed a lawsuit? No one in your countries got off their duffs and made any effort.
To be fair, in the UK it would cost me half a months wages just to talk to a lawyer. Then it would cost me a years wages just to get the ball rolling...

What I'm saying is, Lawyers are expensive and if £30 is all I'm getting out of it then it's not worth my time. You Americans just have nothing better to do :p

To be fair, in the UK it would cost me half a months wages just to talk to a lawyer. Then it would cost me a years wages just to get the ball rolling...

What I'm saying is, Lawyers are expensive and if £30 is all I'm getting out of it then it's not worth my time. You Americans just have nothing better to do :p
Don't forget that this involved class action lawsuits. There is a different dynamic than in an individual lawsuit.

They're the ones who brought the lawsuit... duh...if there is a class action lawsuit in Canada or the UK, then you can get your money too...

In fact, seeing that there is now precedent, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of lawsuits originating in various other countries...
Yeah, I'm in Africa and as you've probably already correctly guessed, nobody got off their lazy, fat asses to file a lawsuit. I'm not in the least bit annoyed, I was merely troll... err, I mean remarking.

It's not that "nobody" filled a lawsuit, no one else but muricans thought it is an issue, the performance speaks by itself this being 0,5 or 3,5 or 4 "slow" gbs, at most the false advertising of 6+ instead of the real 50+ that might be reason, then again it might have some virtual something and in the end... who cares? You got a good video card, that delivered on par or better than it's competitor for the about same price, even if they said 56 render processors instead of the 64 they are claiming it wouldn't make a difference that anyone would've noticed.

Please don't pretend to know what your talking about when it comes to my country, there's far too many things wrong with what your saying for me to even bother trying to explain any of it to you. Nor does it have anything to do with the article at hand, so please go on, tell me how it is where I live, you must really know how life in Canada is from Chile.

Sure I do, been in Toronto for the last 7 months, who updates their techspot profiles anyhow... why are you triggered with "my country"? Oooh right you are from quebec...

Sure I do, been in Toronto for the last 7 months, who updates their techspot profiles anyhow... why are you triggered with "my country"? Oooh right you are from quebec...

And hence why nobody in Montreal likes anyone from Toronto.

Yeah, I'm in Africa and as you've probably already correctly guessed, nobody got off their lazy, fat asses to file a lawsuit. I'm not in the least bit annoyed, I was merely troll... err, I mean remarking.
A "troll" would know that the reason you cannot get the 30$ is that your in another country, you did not. Good day.

So I am confused as to why people in other countries are whining about not getting anything out of this. How can they complain when this is a U.S. lawsuit? Why don't they file suit in their respective countries instead of moaning and groaning about it here?

A "troll" would know that the reason you cannot get the 30$ is that your in another country, you did not. Good day.
Perhaps so, but the art of trolling works just as well, whether you are ignorant of the facts, or merely playing stupid. It's up the recipient(s), to figure out which is the case.

And then there's the "grammar Nazi", presumably a different aspect of the trolling community. Por ejemplo:
"Good God man, can't you manage the difference between 'your', and 'you're' yet"?

Back