TechSpot

The World Wide Web Turns 25

By Jos
Mar 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Thanks Al Gore :D

2. 25 and still based on antiquated and inefficient HTML protocols. 2 browsers cannot display the same page equally.
    And the only REAL advances, named Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight, have been "banned" by a company named "Apple".

Happy 25th birthday Web. You're still an infant.

3. I remember the first time I saw Mosaic in early 1994. Even then when there weren't a ton of places to go, and most were all text -- it was clearly awesome and seemed likely to only get better, which obviously it did.

4. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,094   +110

40% of the world goes online ... this means we still have a lot of work ahead of us.

5. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,094   +110

trust me flash sucks :D whenever I make a website it's flash that breaks things

6. As someone who was helping run and into the BBS and MUD scene I saw this coming a long way off though could certainly not imagine how it would completely transform the world.

7. Wait, who is Tim Berners-Lee? I thought Al Gore was the Father of the Web.

KarenInChicago likes this.
  8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,055   +918

I love the timeline! Awesome work.

Julio Franco likes this.
  9. Where is ICQ?

10. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,385   +240

I'm not going to complain one bit. I'm very grateful to have a computer & able to be online. Not to mention I'm very grateful to the knowledgeable guys & gals here at TS that have helped me considerably. Long live the internet
    happy-birthday-internet.png

Cobalt006 and Julio Franco like this.

11. DKRON

DKRON TS Enthusiast Posts: 562   +11

Where is myspace? just me?

12. learninmypc

It all depends on how one reads the other comments. :)

13. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +184

It is listed in the time line. March of 1995.

14. learninmypc

15. KarenInChicago

KarenInChicago TS Rookie

The web wasn't really available to everyone and user-friendly until a browser was employed, enabling just about anyone to search for info. That was in April 1993....so I'd say the web as we know it is barely 21. Almost old enough to drink!

learninmypc likes this.
  16. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,188   +244

You missed out the timeline where the government created the internet.

17. Nothing about p2p and nothing about internet speed, also what's the big deal with facebook?

18. Phr3d

Phr3d TS Rookie Posts: 26

Facebook and CGA icons aka T I L E S
    lol
    alta vista was the search-engine of '93, great fun, endless links.
    I reached alta vista et al with America Online and my 1200 baud racal vadic analog modem (I.e., speeds ignored).
    usenet barely mentioned
    Diablo I and multi-geographic multi-player gaming on battlenet

and nothing worth noting happened for four years.. hm..

19. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 666   +96

Internet speed is down to infrastructure. As such it does not represent a WWW milestage any more than the introduction of 4 core CPUs. Also p2p is something that uses the Internet and is not part of the WWW.

Frankly I understand your feelings towards Facebook but it is a service that utilises the WWW and is popular with people.

20. pounder

pounder TS Rookie

I can't read this fast anymore, any references to 1979, BBS, pre-internet arrival?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.