The world's largest video game collection brings in $750,250 at auction

Justin Kahn

auction dreamcast saturn worlds largest video game collection michael thomasson the guinness world records 750 250 canisius college

We last reported on Michael Thomasson when The Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition added him for having the world's largest video game collection. While Thomasson had previously sold off his collection twice before rebuilding it to record holding stature, he decided to put it up for auction in order to raise money for family reasons earlier this month. With the June 15th deadline now passed, Thomasson managed to auction of his games and consoles for $750,250.

At the time of entry into Guinness, the collection was estimated to be worth between $700,000 and $800,000 so it appears the avid game collector did quite well for himself. The collection contains everything from complete libraries of Sega Dreamcast, Saturn, and Virtual Boy games as well as obscure devices like the Tapwave Zodiac. More than 2,600 of the games in his collection were still in the shrink wrap and more than 8,300 of then are complete with the case and manual.

At 41 years of age and with more than 25 years into the collection, even though he has rebuilt it in the past, it won't be easy reaching the 11,000+ titles and hardware devices the new unnamed record holder now has. For now Thomasson remains a game designer and teacher of 2D animation, design and game history at Canisius College in Buffalo.

Permalink to story.

Well good for that dork. I ragged on him for having a worthless collection. Ha Ha Ha...Who is laughing now?

Lol, the only 'thing' I can call a real collection is my book collection.
at book sales, I bought books with huge discounts, mostly priced around 10php-100php range (roughly 10 cents to 1$ if 1$ = 50 Philippine pesos). the collection was mainly from year 1995-2002.
book sales now are no longer as generously discounted as before as the books are now priced about 50php-150php.

Back