The worst infection I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've fixed plenty of spyware / trojan / virus problems in my day (I'm on speed dial with several friends and relatives for PC problems, unfortunately), but I've never had one so bad as this one.

I have attempted to follow the steps in the sticky "Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions" thread, but I am unable to. This sucker prevents me from installing or running virtually all scanners and removers listed. I always run MS Defender and Symantec AV. This bug has circumvented them. I am unable to boot into safe mode. The PC only gets so far and then resets.

I am able to run HJT, but I have no confidence that this tricky infection hasn't manipulated the results. I would appreciate some advice on how to proceed. I have attached the HJT log.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2008--01-20 hijackthis.log
    9.1 KB · Views: 5
Yeah from what I see their isn't really anything on your HJT log that I know as harmful. Did you rename HighJackThis.exe to Crusty.exe?

If its that bad reformatting might be the best thing to do.

I would wait for someone more experienced than me to reply first though xD

Yes, I did rename the HJT executable. I created the UBCD4win allowing me to boot to a safe install, load the registry hive, and run my scans from there. AVG (free edition) found several trojans and viruses. After quarantining them, I have been able to boot normally and install Spybot and run a scan, so it looks like I've turned the corner on this bug.

I am disappointed to see that so many infections made their way past my Symantec AV / MS Defender / Kerio PF combination. I know there are a lot of opinions out there, but can I get some advice as to what a good software set would be for the future?

Thanks.

Well I liked AVG's Internet security setup, but currently I started using Eset NOD32 Smart Security. I've had no problems with viruses at all. If you do ever encounter one it automatically warns you and quarantines it, plus its fast and doesn't use up very many resources.

Well, I use AVG, and have used AVG's Anti Spyware also, and liked both.

I don't use a firewall, so I can't say anything on that. I believe Avast is also a pretty good AV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back