Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thewoosterisroot

Some thing it is going to flop:
https://www.techspot.com/news/23687-is-the-zune-going-to-flop.html

Others say it is number two in the country:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20061130211611.html

So what will happen I wonder. Will the zune really become an ipod killer? Personally I hope so/not. I would like to see Apple take on some serious competion, but don't really want to see microsoft with more power than they already have. Not that they're going to be stopping any time soon.

That review talks about "insane hardware requirements", "brower locking", and "software incompatiblities". I own a Zune running on an old P3 833 mgtz processor, 256 megs of ram running XP Pro. I have not had the first of any of these problems! Although the points system thingy to buy music stinks, I have no complaints, besides most of what I copy to my Zune are from my own CD's.

as far as i am concerned the zune and the ipod are the same thing: crap. i hate how apple and microsoft (especially apple) force thier file formats on users and so called 'file protection.' perhaps worse is the fact that an ipod can only receive data from one machine, which to my understanding is how the zune works as well.

creative makes the best players. mine can be hooked up to any machine with a USB port and can be read and written to as an external harddrive. it can be shared between multiple computers, too. creative leaves 3 options as to how users can add files to their products too. my zen vision:m holds 60GB, can play audio for about 16 hours continuously, plays all common formats of music and video files. i can take it anywhere and get music from my friends, transfer data, or share photos.

and creative doesn't force you to use their media player on your PC, unlike apple and microsoft. for example, i use foobar 2000 as a media player on my PC, which is far superior to WMP of itunes, in my opinion.

oh, and did i mention that my zen was $100 cheaper than an ipod video of equal capacity?

I have to agree with zephead as everything he said is spot on and I am certainly not a fan of Cretaive products, but they have done it right when it comes to MP3 players!

zephead said:
as far as i am concerned the zune and the ipod are the same thing: crap. i hate how apple and microsoft (especially apple) force thier file formats on users and so called 'file protection.'
They can both play regular MP3 files.
perhaps worse is the fact that an ipod can only receive data from one machine, which to my understanding is how the zune works as well.
I have yet to find a PC on which I couldn't hook up & update my iPod.
creative makes the best players. mine can be hooked up to any machine with a USB port and can be read and written to as an external harddrive. it can be shared between multiple computers, too. creative leaves 3 options as to how users can add files to their products too. my zen vision:m holds 60GB, can play audio for about 16 hours continuously, plays all common formats of music and video files. i can take it anywhere and get music from my friends, transfer data, or share photos.
You just need to bring the little bundled adapter everywhere with you & as far as I know video files need to be "formated" to play on it, just as with an iPod & Zune I guess.
and creative doesn't force you to use their media player on your PC, unlike apple and microsoft. for example, i use foobar 2000 as a media player on my PC, which is far superior to WMP of itunes, in my opinion.
Everywhere I 've looked, it is reported that you need to install the Zen Vision Media Explorer to import/export files on the player.
oh, and did i mention that my zen was $100 cheaper than an ipod video of equal capacity?
Good deal I guess.

Quote:
perhaps worse is the fact that an ipod can only receive data from one machine, which to my understanding is how the zune works as well.

Same thing I have found with my Zune. I have hooked it up to 3 different PC's and had no problems what so ever. Just have to tell the PC that this is a guest account for the Zune and you off and running.

i actually liked the ipod when it first came out. i was about to get one when i noticed that the interface was crap. apple started off with a good, new, and high demand product but ruined it. in order to use an ipod, you are forced to install itunes. creative doesn't force anything on zen users, which is why i like their mp3 players so much.
Everywhere I 've looked, it is reported that you need to install the Zen Vision Media Explorer to import/export files on the player.
you do not need it. i have it installed on my computer at home, but i can take my zen anywhere and freely exchange files with any computer via windows explorer. unless you have the media explorer installed, the zen will simply show up as an external harddrive in windows explorer, and you can copy files to and from it as such.
i suppose if every computer in the world had itunes, you could. perhaps there is some 3rd party software to copy between an ipod and a computer, as for that i am not sure.

i actually liked the ipod when it first came out. i was about to get one when i noticed that the interface was crap. apple started off with a good, new, and high demand product but ruined it. in order to use an ipod, you are forced to install itunes. creative doesn't force anything on zen users, which is why i like their mp3 players so much.

the zen allows easy and simple sharing of files between multiple computers. the first and last time i ever tried using an ipod went something like this:

a friend brought his ipod over to my place and wanted me to copy some music over to it (he picked out about 22 gigs of the stuff he wanted from my library). but in order to do this, first i had to install itunes. then, i had to import everything he wanted on his ipod into itunes, which took forever because itunes converted all the WMAs (thankfully only a few gigs) to another format, and then dumped the converted files into another folder.

finally, i managed to get all the desired media imported into itunes. i then learned that i could not simply add this media to the currently existing content already on the player. itunes lets you 'syncronize' the ipod, which to apple means overwriting whatever was on the player with itunes library. furthermore, on the ipod was some new music i wanted to try, but itunes had no way of copying that music back onto my computer.

my friend said screw it, just overwrite my stuff (he only had 5 gigs). so i hit synchronize, and waited for over an hour for everything to copy over. the worst part about it is now my friend can't add music from his computer to the ipod, so he's stuck with only what i gave him.

several days later, i brought over my zen vision:m and a usb cable. i plugged it into his machine, which had no creative software ever installed on it. windows xp immediately recognized the player. i opened windows explorer and found the player listed there, and navigated to my media library with a few clicks.

from that point it was as simple as copying the desired files to his local harddrive. the same 22 gigs that took his ipod over an hour to copy now copied in less than half and hour. before i left, i copied over some music files from his computer, again using windows explorer. once the copy finished, i simply disconnected the unit and listened to the new music on my way home.

it was, after this experience, that i decided that i didn't care much for the ipod in general.

i paid full price for my zen, it was not on sale or anything. at the time i bought it, all across the country the 60GB zen vision:m was $100 cheaper than the 60gb ipod video, and they probably still are now.

BoratSuccess2.jpg

I don't really think so, but its an excuse to use my newly created image. Paint Shop Pro FTW!

:haha: Sngx :D

I dont really see the point in getting all these fancy MP3 players and Ipods when you could buy a $15 CD player and just listen to the SAME music ;)

Not having to carry a bunch of CDs with you, having playlists, browsing by artist, album or genre, etc. There are many reasons.

Yeah but why spend $200 when you could buy a perfectly good Videocard ;)

Plus if you have to search by Artist / Albums you have WAY too many songs :D

I bought it because I have a good use for it. I like being able to take a good part of my music library by just bringing this one device with me. I like that I can listen to all the albums I have for one specific artist. I like that I can create a play-list on the fly quite easily depending on my mood, etc.

This is just a case of certain features being useful to some & completely useless to others. It might not be worth it to you, but it can be priceless for other people. Just keep an open mind.

Didou, you are toally right. Some of us travel alot for work. I have every CD that Iron Maiden, Megadeth and a few other bands have ever put out on my Zune right now!

Time----For what I got on my Zune right now, I would have to tote around 50 CD's with me if I had just a regular portable CD player. That is the reason for buying MP3 players. ;)

Well I dont listen to alot of music ( I usualy play games like Oblivion and the soundtrack on those games are better then any song I listen to ;) ) so I guess you're right, If you have alot of songs / CDs a MP3 player would be better :D

i listen to tons of music, hours on most days. for someone like me, a CD player would be out of the question. before i had an mp3 player, i had a CD player (walkman) and about 4 CDs on me at all times. but i suppose that's just because i'm a musician and music is important to me. over the course of today, for instance, i listened to every jefferson airplane album, in order by date of release. lots of people are not into album-oriented music and like to mix various bands and genres when they listen, so a CD would be fine for those people.

They make portable CD players that play mp3s burned onto a cd. You can fit over 10 normal albums on a disk at decent quality (~192 vbr).

SNGX1275 said:
They make portable CD players that play mp3s burned onto a cd. You can fit over 10 normal albums on a disk at decent quality (~192 vbr).

Now that you mention it. I also have a Sony MD Player/Burner. It plays the mini disc. I can record around 60 hours of music on 1 disc, depending on what compression format I use. The MD player never went over very well I guess. And the main reason I went to a Zune was because still with the MD, I had to carry around the disc's. The player itself is actually smaller than my Zune! And I think the sound quality of it is better than the Zune.

I dont like ipods, so i got an ipood t shirt off jinx. But my reason is I dont want to spend a bunch of money on something with little memory.
I have a Toshiba Gigabeat. Its 10 Gigs, and i spend $140 on it... The screen it larger, its easy to navigate through, plug and play, the pictures look leet. And i fit WoW on it, took it to school, and played WoW, right there, in my Info Tech clas... Thats just fun

cagalindo said:
i dont have it....
i heard its **** just like the ipods

Creative fo' lief!

Its JUST a matter of taste is all! I had a Creative mp3 before and hated it, had "some" problems with it, not a lot. I just didnt like it. Like I said before, I like my Zune so far.......it has plenty of storage. Got almost 1200 songs on it right now!

I actually could not find any zunes around where I live, or on any of the sites on the internet I usually order stuff from. Possibly because I am in Canada, but thats a bad reason if that is it.

I don't think there is a place in the entire US that is sold out. EVERYWHERE has them, they aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back