There is no internet on this laptop

I use to have wireless internet but now it doesnt work. Right now i'm using internet with wire which is connteced to the router on a different computer. But i really want wireless internet

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections
You should have at least the following entries...
  • Wireless Network Connection
    and
  • Local Area Connection.
You currently are using Local Area Connection, and beside it you will read "connected".
What does it read beside Wireless Network Connection?

If it says Disabled, then "right click" on Wireless Network Connection, and select "Enable".
If it says Disconnected, then "right click" and select "Connect".

At some point you will get a list of available wireless networks.
Select yours, and enter your key, as needed.
This should get you up and running.

If you do not find Wireless Network Connection listed, let me know and we will see if we can correct that issue.

Okay i'm using windows 7, i clicked on view network status and tasks. I see its connected local area connection it says network tasks, i can setup a wireless internet.

I pluged it out and clicked setup wireless network and it says no connections are avaliable.

I went to manage wireless network and it shows three of them. i think one of them is mine. Everything is in grey though.

It's alreyd connected and key also seems to be there but its not working. stil grey and says automatically connected.

Okay... my instructions were for XP... Not familiar with the layout of Win7.
Maybe one of the others can hop in!

You say that manage wireless networs showed your Wireless Network,
and that it says you are connected already, but that it is not working?

Have you tried resetting your router?

From your wired connection, and a browser, go to your router and look through the connections listed. Specific instructions will vary from router to router, but I am wondering if your router is unable to see your wireless laptop/desktop. Using "Ping" you should be able to learn something.

Use google to find the manual for your router. The manual will probably have troubleshooting.

Note also... I do not believe you will be able to use the wireless connection if you are already connected by the LAN connection.

I am just about done here for tonight, and I have another busy week ahead, and may not get back now till next Sunday and Monday.
Others may need to pick up on helping you from here.
If you do not get more help soon, you might try pm to one of those who help with networking issues.

Note... unless someone has already replied to your note, it is usually best to simply edit, adding the additional information to the previous note, rather than adding a bunch of notes in a row. Makes it look like you have a very active thread, and others are less likely to look in to try to help.

Thanks, Mailpup, for merging his posts!

Note also... I do not believe you will be able to use the wireless connection if you are already connected by the LAN connection. I had wireless before but its gone now, maby i can use wireless connection and not use the lan.

Use google to find the manual for your router. The manual will probably have troubleshooting..requires adobe reader pdf..

thanks for your help and thanks to mailpup for making this post easier to read

Having a wired and a wireless connection simultaneously is no problem.
This sounds like a bad driver or a wireless switch that's turned off.

try to change location of your network from "public" to "home" and see if you can connect, maybe windows 7 built-in firewall is blocking something...

under windows 7 control panel, navigate to:
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center

Back