There must be a genius out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohairleft

Hello all. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have recently purchased a P4 dual-core(2.66GHz x 2) PC. Problem is that when I try to install Windows XP Home edition, everything goes fine until the Copy Files section hits 11% and is trying to copy the driver.cab file. It then halts. Doesn't even attempt to restart the installation. I have tried a couple of different Windows discs and the result is exactly the same. The Hard drive is ok as Windows can be installed via another machine. However, if the drive is then placed in the PC, it doesn't boot, and comes up with an error.
The PC spec to the best of my knowledge is 1GB DDR2 memory, 80GB HDD, FoxConn mobo and a 512MB PCI-Express ATI graphics card. On-board sound.
Can anyone shed any light on the problem??

Many thanks in advance.

Nohairleft said:
Hello all. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have recently purchased a P4 dual-core(2.66GHz x 2) PC. Problem is that when I try to install Windows XP Home edition, everything goes fine until the Copy Files section hits 11% and is trying to copy the driver.cab file. It then halts. Doesn't even attempt to restart the installation. I have tried a couple of different Windows discs and the result is exactly the same. The Hard drive is ok as Windows can be installed via another machine. However, if the drive is then placed in the PC, it doesn't boot, and comes up with an error.
The PC spec to the best of my knowledge is 1GB DDR2 memory, 80GB HDD, FoxConn mobo and a 512MB PCI-Express ATI graphics card. On-board sound.
Can anyone shed any light on the problem??

Many thanks in advance.

Let's deal with one thing at a time here...are you installing Windows XP from an existing Windows (i.e. Windows 98, ME, etc) or from a formated hard drive? Is the processor dual-core or hyper-threading?

I'm trying a completely new installation from a Windows XP Home edition disc.. It would be the preferred option.

Try using your old cpu, then see if the installation works. I have a feeling that the cpu replacement is unrelated.

New machine, so hopefully all is well with hardware. Built by manufacturer, but they are baffled too, as all seems well with the build.

Nohairleft said:
New machine, so hopefully all is well with hardware. Built by manufacturer, but they are baffled too, as all seems well with the build.

Hmm, Windows isn't my specialty :dead: sorry. Hopefully someone who knows more will post soon so I don't suggest useless things. Stay tuned and welcome :wave: ! Next time you post, try to use a more useful title that hints your problem for more posts. Good luck!

No problem. Thanks. The irony with the machine is that it will run Windows 98 in Safe Mode. I have to head out just now, but i'll check in later.

Done that and the test keeps stopping on Test 2. From this, can I assume that the RAM is dodgy?
Thanks for that, lyam.

I owe you a beer or three my friend. Many thanks.
wave.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back