"There was a problem starting . . ." Rundll32.exe problem

Hi, I think my rundll32.exe was corrupted by a virus. I've already deleted the virus files (I think). I just need rundll32.exe to stop running the file (which is already deleted) whenever I start up my computer, which gives me the message "There was a problem starting . . . The specified module could not be found" since I've already deleted the file. How do I remove the process (?) from the rundll32.exe file. Thanks a bunch!
SVbmzqY

SVbmzqY

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 8
Fyi: this technique is a common virus vector.

Your real issue is a registry entry asking for rundll32 to load that file

I agree with jobeard. "Conduit" in the directory is also telling. Conduit is a search engine hijack. It's "foistware". It gets downloaded along with something else you really mean to install. Be careful to
> NEVER do "Express" installs
> Always do "Custom" installs and don't simply accept every "Recommended" option. Read every screen option as there's often other things you "agree" to install without you realizing it

That said: Removing Conduit is usually not bad
> Look for Conduit in CtlPnl->Programs and Features. Uninstall if there
> Now look add the add-ons in every browser you use (IE, chrome, etc.) Disable or remove anything for Conduit

If that message remains, let us know. It's easy to fix too. (There's a reference in your registry to file on disk that was already removed)

Thanks a bunch for the help. I've finished the steps. I've deleted the conduit files (?) with regedit (is this correct?). But the damn warning still pops up whenever I start my computer. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Download and run Autoruns. Wait for it to finish scanning and it shows Ready in lower left corner of the window.

Press Ctl-F and search for conduit. I believe you should find a matching entry. Right click->Delete. If any issue or question File->Save. Save the as Autoruns.arn file on your Desktop. Zip it and upload. I'll take a look

Cool. I did the steps and have uploaded the file. What do you think?

Attachments

• AutoRuns.zip
    124.9 KB · Views: 2
Huh. Thought the name conduit would of been found. I'll take a closer look but do this to help rule out some of the entries for me

Run Autoruns again. Hit Escape to stop the scan. Click Options->Filter Options then check box for each of these
> Verify code signatures
> Hide Microsoft entries
Then click Rescan button

Create and upload another Autoruns.arn zip

P.s. Your Autoruns DOES have LOTS of entries where File not Found. (a few are expected). But I'd like to see the 2nd autoruns before starting to remove things

Hi, I followed these instructions. Unfortunately, every time I followed the instructions, Autoruns stops working and gives me an error message ("Autostart program viewer has stopped working . . ."). However, after following the first instructions, the original error message doesn't appear anymore so I guess that part is fixed so much thanks!

Hey Hey! Glad to hear it works!

p.s. And everytime you install anything - especially any freeware - be sure to read and check settings of every install option on every install screen carefully. It's a pain - but you'll be surprised to see how much tag along crap can get installed if one's not careful

Happy and Safe Computing!

Back