Thermal compound on heat sink P4 3.2 800 ?

By Paul
Jan 14, 2005
  1. Can some one tell me if the intel 3.2 800 1mb processor comes with thermal compound or is there a pad included with most that you buy.just received my system and i am just curiuos if the tech installed compound or just installed it as is.Thanks
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

it had better come with a pad of thermal compound, or your CPU may overheat. ask your tech.
  3. Paul

Paul TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 58

4. BringinHeat

BringinHeat TS Rookie Posts: 139

All newer pentium 4s come with a thermal pad on the heat sink. I have a 3.0Ghz and it had a thermal pad already preinstalled on the heatsink. But i would recommened getting artic silver cuz it works better. Dont worry about it if you are not too computer savvy though. I am sure your tech guy installed the cpu with a thermal pad on otherwise your computer will overheat really quick and usually shut down!
  5. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 942

Careful what you call a thermal pad.

All retail intel heatsinks come with thermal compound that when heated will become softer and fill in the gaps better, but is not a solid pad. A thermal pad is not as effective as compound, and is a solid mesh that doesn't break apart or change based on heat.

In almost all cases, the thermal compound that comes on the heatsink is sufficient for the cpu.
  6. ellomoto

ellomoto TS Rookie

I would recommend not using a thermal pad, instead use artic silver...its the mutts nuts...
  7. Paul

Paul TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 58

Found some time to pull it and i did apply some artic silver my friend had ,Checked temps after gamiing mode ,it just went down 2 degrees.So i checked bios and it was 4 up,Not much to worrried about
  8. pizzada

pizzada TS Booster Posts: 72

Let me get this straight, (about to do my first build), the CPU usually comes with either a pad or thermal compound.?....but the heatsink and fan also usually come with a pad or thermal compound also ?

I'm getting the chip only (not the retail box)...and a seperate Heatsink/Fan to go with it. If the CPU doesnt come with any pad/compound, but the Heatsink does, will I have all that I need to install the Chip and heatsink ?

thanks ahead for the help... :suspiciou
  9. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

the heatsink comes with a square bit of paste on it, the cpu comes 'clean'
  10. Eko

Eko TS Rookie

Actic Silver no.5

Use that. It's a sort of Chanel no. 5 for cooling. Also, I heard of Arctic Ceramique.
    If you try to overclock, be sure you use a good cooler.
    I have good results with a Cooler Master 48, but you can try Artic Cooling 7.
    Good luck !
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.