Thermal compound on heat sink P4 3.2 800 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Can some one tell me if the intel 3.2 800 1mb processor comes with thermal compound or is there a pad included with most that you buy.just received my system and i am just curiuos if the tech installed compound or just installed it as is.Thanks

it had better come with a pad of thermal compound, or your CPU may overheat. ask your tech.

zephead said:
it had better come with a pad of thermal compound, or your CPU may overheat. ask your tech.[/QUi
I just checked since i didnt have time to put the pc to gether my self,they come with a pad in the intel box.I have seen a small tube of compound come in some new retail boxes but i guess all the newer 3 and 3.2 come with pads.Pads are ok for 3 to 5 years until they start to dry up.
I am running at 3360 stable on the 3.2 and the heat seems ok Cpu is at 41/105 at 5% oc,in bios it was 3 degrees higher.

All newer pentium 4s come with a thermal pad on the heat sink. I have a 3.0Ghz and it had a thermal pad already preinstalled on the heatsink. But i would recommened getting artic silver cuz it works better. Dont worry about it if you are not too computer savvy though. I am sure your tech guy installed the cpu with a thermal pad on otherwise your computer will overheat really quick and usually shut down!

!

Careful what you call a thermal pad.

All retail intel heatsinks come with thermal compound that when heated will become softer and fill in the gaps better, but is not a solid pad. A thermal pad is not as effective as compound, and is a solid mesh that doesn't break apart or change based on heat.

In almost all cases, the thermal compound that comes on the heatsink is sufficient for the cpu.

ellomoto said:
I would recommend not using a thermal pad, instead use artic silver...its the mutts nuts...
Found some time to pull it and i did apply some artic silver my friend had ,Checked temps after gamiing mode ,it just went down 2 degrees.So i checked bios and it was 4 up,Not much to worrried about

Let me get this straight, (about to do my first build), the CPU usually comes with either a pad or thermal compound.?....but the heatsink and fan also usually come with a pad or thermal compound also ?

I'm getting the chip only (not the retail box)...and a seperate Heatsink/Fan to go with it. If the CPU doesnt come with any pad/compound, but the Heatsink does, will I have all that I need to install the Chip and heatsink ?

thanks ahead for the help... :suspiciou

Actic Silver no.5

Use that. It's a sort of Chanel no. 5 for cooling. Also, I heard of Arctic Ceramique.
If you try to overclock, be sure you use a good cooler.
I have good results with a Cooler Master 48, but you can try Artic Cooling 7.
Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back